Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roy Jones Jr. the most skilled boxer ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingjames6 View Post
    Why be so rude dude, I'm just saying Broners more versatile. Roy relied on athleticism which is a fact, broner can switch gears. Not saying Broners better in terms of accomplishments but he's more well rounded. You can't dispute that.
    Lmfao....... you are a moron.

Broner isn't as well rounded as Jones..

If Roy Jones Jr took a really big dump... that dump will be Adrien Broner.

Roy should leave his flaccid *** in Broner's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by DominiBox View Post
      I'm not talking about the best boxer ever. I'm talking about skills. You watch this dude, and all you see is a guy who was born to be a boxer. Power, stamina, speed, ring generalship....he made everything look so easy.

What you guys think about it? Am i missing someone?

Yes. You're missing something. He was not the most skilled boxer ever. He had some of the best reflexes ever and when the reflexes faded with time he ... was only too human. Wouldn't you think?

Bernard Hopkins, the Old Mongoose and many others had better skills. This is not to say Roy Jones was a bum. He's one of my all-time favorites and he is an ATG but he is not the most skilled boxer ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
        he's a physical specimen, his speed, strenght, power were all top level, one of the fastest fighters ever, one of the hardest hitters ever(im sure some people will come to disagree, but imo, big puncher), and incredibly strong

but i think what made roy jones more than anything, was his footwork/footspeed
        he gets to angles very fast, and can punch off'em with insane power

in terms of skills, the fighter with the most complete package, off the head, mayweather or leonard?
        I hope you mean Benny Leonard, because he is reckoned to be the #1 Lightweight of all time, and the closest in style to Jack Johnson. Fast on his feet, consummate ring general with enormous boxing IQ, and a KO punch in both hands. Was undefeated for his whole lightweight title reign of nearly 8 years before retiring for 6 years. He lost all his money in the 1929 Wall St. crash and returned as a welterweight, with mixed results as he was old and only 5'5". He was in his middle or late 30s then I think and his last fight was against. Jimmy McLarnin who won the welterweight title a few months later.

You SHOULD mean Benny, not Ray.....

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
          I disagree. Most of his killer instinct came in his 1st or early weight classes. Floyd also was knocking everyone out at SFW. This guy is smaller then all the 140 pounders and some LW's but is fighting huge Jr. MW's and people act like he's suppose to just go Tyson on them
          I think that Phonius Phloydius had about a 60-65% KO average at 130 lbs. Pretty good but not "knocking everyone out". Also he fought a load of palookas whom I'd bet would have fallen down if pushed a little. I recall looking this up a few years ago. Much like Sam Peter's earlier fights.

There have been so many really skilled boxers in history that it is impossible to select just one. There must be hundreds who could be qualified. And very many of them were never champions or even close to being so. They had other problems.

As for Roy Jones I believe that he was one of the most skilled boxers in his era, and that skill is downplayed and pooh-poohed by ignorant newcomers to boxing who have not dipped deeply into the available info.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            I hope you mean Benny Leonard, because he is reckoned to be the #1 Lightweight of all time, and the closest in style to Jack Johnson. Fast on his feet, consummate ring general with enormous boxing IQ, and a KO punch in both hands. Was undefeated for his whole lightweight title reign of nearly 8 years before retiring for 6 years. He lost all his money in the 1929 Wall St. crash and returned as a welterweight, with mixed results as he was old and only 5'5". He was in his middle or late 30s then I think and his last fight was against. Jimmy McLarnin who won the welterweight title a few months later.

You SHOULD mean Benny, not Ray.....
            never watched benny leonard
            but when i mention skills i try to think of who could do it all, fight on the backfoot, frontfoot, inside, outside etc

Comment

not very greats skills(when compared to his athletic gifts)

one of the most gifted athletes of all time tho

but i think his lack of fundamentals up to par with his gifts was a weakness

too much back ing straight up ina and out. didnt really know how to fight in the pocket but it didnt matter with him.

its a shem he didnt have opposition on his level ecept fot toney who stylewise plays right into toneys game

Comment

I don't know about skilled. Skilled means he was technically superior which he wasn't. He was physically superior to anyone he fought though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingjames6 View Post
                  I'd say adrien broner is far more skilled. More versatile than roy but roy was faster. I mean there's a reason we all feel Broners the only one who could beat floyd. The skills he has is overshadowed by his persona
                  Bahahaha Boner you say lol!! Come on champ boner isnt as skillful as roy not even in his wildest dreams!! As for him beating floyd thats a joke too!! Pauly would get his arse whipped by floyd an boner barely won that fight!!!

Comment

Roy is the most skilled IMO!!! Superman!!!

Comment

Hell no probably best reflexes in the game (when he had them), but once that gone he sucked ass.

Real skillfully boxer will still be able to bang it out and look good or put a win together, jones hasnt done that once since being ruined.

Comment

Working...
                      X