Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Felix Trinidad tell-all interview. (Can someone translate this please?)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Trinidad tell-all interview. (Can someone translate this please?)

The trajectory of Tito Trinidad, for many, the most loved. The most popular fighter in the history of Puerto Rico. In 1993, he married and with more than 10 years married with four girls, but also in his boxing life, Tito Trinidad captured 3 world titles. His first being against Maurice Blocker, beating him in 2 rounds. Later on he climbed up the rankings and had a unification fight with Oscar De La Hoya. Then after that fight, moving up beating David Reid for the title. Tito has faced many undefeated fighters throughout, oba carr and yuri boy campas for example. Tito kept his rise, beating and knocking out Fernando Vargas. He kept fighting beating william joppy for his 3rd title and then lost to bernard hopkins. Tito retired, and then unretired while trying to get a rematch with bernard hopkins. It never happened and he fought Roy Jones JR instead.

Now to the interview:

Inter: "Tito. The most loved. The most charasmatic in the history of Puertorican boxing. A man that lets himself be loved. 'What are you gonna be doing now Tito? What are you doing?' is the question that needs to be asked."

Tito: "Good morning, good morning. Well, I'm relaxing. I don't know if I'm fully retired yet. It's only been 10 months since the last fight. For now I'm just spending time with family and friends. There's people that would come to the house and pick me up and just go out when I'm home taking care of the horses. People from my town would ask me for pictures or one of my shirts (side note: I think hes talking about "tito pr shirts" something like that). It doesn't matter where I'm at. I'm always the same. I love being friendly and just sharing with others. I've conquered so many things in my life. For my family, for my people of Puerto Rico. I'm proud of being Puerto Rican. Proud of being from this lovely island. The "island of enchantment" (Isla del Encanto). I've been to many places, outside of Puerto Rico when I was fighting and bringing in victories. I do have 3 losses on my record, but compared to my victories, it's nothing. I even went 40 wins before I had my first loss. All those victories I brought to my country makes me feel proud and happy about them. Having the wife that I have, Sharon (thats what it sounded like lol), having my little girls. I love them so much. I want to see them grow up from young girls into respectable adult women and if God is willing, I would be around to see them getting married. I want them to go to school, of course, but I want to see them all married one day. I've went throught it. You are young, you go to school then you get married. You know everything one step at a time in their life."

Inter: "Tito after 15 years in boxing, is there something thats missing from it?"

Tito: "Well, I can at least say that I was a champion. I was a 5 time champion. 3 of those in different weight classes. Welterweight, Superwelterweight and Middleweight. I was champion and then I retired, but every fighter has his moments and then they retire."

Inter: "Tito is there something left in the professional ranks? What would you like to do if an opportunity presents itself?"

Tito: "Yes and I'll be very honest with you. I would, but in boxing I've done it all. I've been world champion. I also am very disciplined. That's the most important. The discipline that I've had throughout my years as a boxer. With the help of my father, celestial. If it wasn't for my father, Felix Trinidad SR, I would've never gotten to where I did. Honestly! I had the strength, the energy and good health, but without my father, Tito Trinidad... possibly... I'll confess to you. Its possible, no I'm certain, that without him I would have never even won ONE world title. Having a father like him at my side, he was my guide, followed his steps, be dedicated to boxing and he's always guided me to the right path. It's not like he said, 'Tito you have to do as I say'. With him it was more of me following his ways in life and in boxing and by doing that we reached where God allowed us to reach. Being a world champion boxer, but not just a champion. A 5 time, 3 weight champion. I'm proud of that and to be honest, I also would like to tell you, if I could do one more thing in boxing, I would like to be champion at 168 lbs and be the first Puerto Rican fighter to win a world title in 4 different weight classes. Welterweight, Superwelterweight, Middleweight and supermiddleweight."

Inter: "Tito, we wouldn't want you to go back to boxing. That's the reality, but newspapers and reporters have asked to ask you. Is there something for Tito in 2009. Possibly a Joe Calzaghe fight, kelly pavlik, jermaine taylor, a rematch with roy jones, even though hopkins didn't want to fight you again?"

Tito: "Yes I think so. Especially hopkins. That's a fight that I would love to make. That rematch. Ive waited. The people have waited. I've had people come up to me and ask me when am I getting a rematch. All I do is tell them the truth, hopkins NEVER wanted to give me a rematch. Why people would ask me. I say that cuz a week ago the press said sources close to hopkins didn't want hopkins to fight me again cuz they didn't want him losing to me. Yea he lost to pavlik and taylor, but they for some reason didn't want him losing to me. In my opinion, the reason why I think they didn't want him losing to me was because if he lost, his status would drop. He knows in the fight that we had, yea he had his moments. He won the lottery that day and won the prize. Alot of people would ask me what happened to me in that fight. Me, like all of my other fights, like when I won my 5th title against william joppy, may 2001, I prepared. But when the fight was scheduled for september 15, then september 11 happened. My dad then told me a couple of days later that my fight was pushed to later on in the month and I feel that body wasn't right, in training, to fight later on. If I would've fought on the 15th, I guarrantee you I would have won by ko or decision. I have no doubts! I have no doubts that it would've went down that way, but things happened and I have no excuses. Mentality wise I wasn't the same either when I fought later on that month. I also went to a doctor for a check up after the fight, and with the 9/11 and everything happening, he complemented me on the fight. I also feel, even though hopkins dominated some parts of the fight, I was always right there in front of him. I couldn't beat him that night, but I'm happy with everything that I accomplished in boxing."

COMMERCIAL BREAK!!!!

Inter: "One question that deals with father and son in professional boxing. There's been various boxers, the mayweathers, de la hoyas, the jones, but none of them have maintained a relationship like you have with your father in a winning team. What is the formula?"

Tito: "Look, I can tell you this, my father never interfered in my personal life. Before when the money was low, instead of spending it, he would put it away saying this is for a future investment. He always gave me good guidance. Instead of telling me what to do, he would suggest what to do. I respected my father as a trainer, but I already had respect for him being my father. Even when we had more money, that was never an issue. That's what happens. When theres alot of money, money makes people move. He never let anything get in between us."

Inter: "Lets talk about your mother."

Tito: "My mother is so generous. I fall short of the things that she does. Even if you put my father and mother in the same room, I fall short of his accomplishments and I fall SUPER short of my mom's accomplisments. My mother is rarely at the house. She's always out helping somebody. If it isn't my little brother and sister, which are from my fathers side, she's out helping someone from her town. My mother has always been that way."

Inter: "Your wife, Sharon Santiago, has been with you for over 15 years. She's been with you through everything. Ups and downs."

Tito: "We have 4 daughters. In total I have 5 daughters. One outside of the marriage. She lives in the states and she visits me and I visit her anytime I can. Especially in the holidays. Sharon and I always take care of each other. She's a great wife. She takes care of alot of things."

Then they talked about juan ma lopez watching him training when juan ma was younger blah blah blah lol... they just sum it up with talkin about juan ma lopez.

Comment

Working...
    X