Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legendary Nights: Gatti-Ward Trilogy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the point: there wasn't three great fights. The second fight was a virtual shutout and outside of a couple of rounds, the third was largely one-sided. Ward had better fights with Neary, Diaz and Green and Gatti had better one's with Rodriguez, Robinson and Sanabria.
    Last edited by Ham Porter; 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Duva View Post
      One great fight doesn't make a great trilogy.
      Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Good thing there was three great fights huh?
      There is always a dud fight in a trilogy,,

gatti-ward 1 was a classic

2 was a dud, good effort by both guys, just not a classic

3 was pretty solid action fight, on par with rios-alvardo 2,

I like the trilogy but i think bowe-holy, mab-morales, manny-jmm, marquez-vasquez, and even morales-manny were better trilogies,,

honestly, I like the jones-tarver trilogy better,, not as great of fights, but the historical ramifications and how all 3 were completely different, it was a fun thrill ride

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        There is always a dud fight in a trilogy,,

gatti-ward 1 was a classic

2 was a dud, good effort by both guys, just not a classic

3 was pretty solid action fight, on par with rios-alvardo 2,

I like the trilogy but i think bowe-holy, mab-morales, manny-jmm, marquez-vasquez, and even morales-manny were better trilogies,,

honestly, I like the jones-tarver trilogy better,, not as great of fights, but the historical ramifications and how all 3 were completely different, it was a fun thrill ride
        It would almost be too much if all three fights were equally exciting. I don't think any of them were 'duds' though as you call it. I think all of them were pretty damn solid. Of course the first was best. Like Pac-JMM - the 3rd fight was not as good as the first two. However, the fourth obviously made up for it.

I think the story of Ward-Gatti is a better story than most other great trilogies, simply because of the two guys' standings on the world boxing scene. We can talk about the skill levels of the fights compared to other fights but pure excitement - I haven't seen too many trilogies that I would class as being significantly better. Ali-Frazier being one. Barrera-Morales being another probably. the first three pac-jmm fights doesn't come close in terms of excitement imo.

Holyfield-Bowe is up there of course.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          It would almost be too much if all three fights were equally exciting. I don't think any of them were 'duds' though as you call it. I think all of them were pretty damn solid. Of course the first was best. Like Pac-JMM - the 3rd fight was not as good as the first two. However, the fourth obviously made up for it.

I think the story of Ward-Gatti is a better story than most other great trilogies, simply because of the two guys' standings on the world boxing scene. We can talk about the skill levels of the fights compared to other fights but pure excitement - I haven't seen too many trilogies that I would class as being significantly better. Ali-Frazier being one. Barrera-Morales being another probably. the first three pac-jmm fights doesn't come close in terms of excitement imo.

Holyfield-Bowe is up there of course.
          Ok, maybe dud was too strong of a term, just not exciting as the other fights. I do like the trilogy, i just like other trilogies better,,, if i had to rank them

1. bowe-holyfield
          2. manny-jmm
          3. MAB-morlaes
          4. morales- MAB
          5. Marquez-vasquez
          6. tarver-jones
          7. Ali-frazier
          8. gatti-ward

That is just my personal rankings of my favorites

Comment

Working...
          X