No announcement yet.

Boxers with best chins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benn's "weak chin" is a myth.

Benn's problem was overenthusiasm. He gassed out trying to bludgeon his opponent into submission.

Forget the fights he lost after McClellan. He was finished by then. Against Watson he gassed. Against Eubank he gassed. He was staggered by Logan, McClellan and Barkley - but all three of those guys were HUGE hitters.

The fact that he stayed upright against them validates his chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
      Benn's "weak chin" is a myth.

Benn's problem was overenthusiasm. He gassed out trying to bludgeon his opponent into submission.

Forget the fights he lost after McClellan. He was finished by then. Against Watson he gassed. Against Eubank he gassed. He was staggered by Logan, McClellan and Barkley - but all three of those guys were HUGE hitters.

The fact that he stayed upright against them validates his chin.
      I'm a massive Benn fan, and have had the pleasure of meeting him.. One of the most exciting boxers of his generation, & a gentleman to.. You're right about him over gassing & the reasons for it, but it was a jab from Watson that put him away, so he must have been severely gassed.. I can also recall him getting badly staggered in the final round against the light punching Mauro Galvano.. To say he had a weak chin would be wrong, especially after what he endured against McClellan.. I think you're right & it's only fair to say, that he only struggled against fighters WITH very good chins..

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
        By all accounts the G man had one of the best chins. He went down against Benn because he had a blood clot in his brain. Before that he had sparred with Hearns, and Hearns never hurt him once.
        Not only that he fought Julian Jackson one of the hardest punchers p4p in the history of the sport and took his best punches.

Comment

Working...
        X