No announcement yet.

How much size is too much???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much size is too much???

For example how many weight classes it takes for a guys like naseem hamed to be below average?

Or floyd mayweather and the likes of ricardo lopez?

Im naming smaller notables with small frame because I know hearns went up to lightheavy but he is freaky tall and can put weight!

I can only name hamed,mayweather,pacman and lopez because there the ones that have popped in to my head since my recent threads about them and its not againts any other smaller guys I excluded?

But yeah I would like to know how much weight class makes these stand out below average in the higher weight class?

I don't believe height and frame have anything to do with being able to go up in weight. What is important is that the weight gain is muscle and not fat. The muscle gained should be from normal boxing training, not heavy weight lifting. A boxer should have a body fat % of about 6% to 11% when they fight. If they have to get their body fat below 6% to make weight they probably need to move up a weight class if they don't feel strong. If they enter the ring carrying much more than 11% fat they are in to heavy of weight class and fighting bigger men. A guy like Tyson has about 7% body fat at 5ft. 11 inches and 220 lbs. Some other boxers the same height as Tyson might carry to much fat at 135 lbs. It all depends on their natural build. Hearns was not a true light heavyweight but he was a champion there because he was very good. 154 to 160 was a better weight for him. Hope this make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I don't believe height and frame have anything to do with being able to go up in weight. What is important is that the weight gain is muscle and not fat. The muscle gained should be from normal boxing training, not heavy weight lifting. A boxer should have a body fat % of about 6% to 11% when they fight. If they have to get their body fat below 6% to make weight they probably need to move up a weight class if they don't feel strong. If they enter the ring carrying much more than 11% fat they are in to heavy of weight class and fighting bigger men. A guy like Tyson has about 7% body fat at 5ft. 11 inches and 220 lbs. Some other boxers the same height as Tyson might carry to much fat at 135 lbs. It all depends on their natural build. Hearns was not a true light heavyweight but he was a champion there because he was very good. 154 to 160 was a better weight for him. Hope this make sense.

you said totally different **** in the beginning of the post and the end of the post

Comment

Back to the body fat thing again. You can look at a fighter and tell if they are in to heavy of weight class. They should look lean and defined with no visable fat, rolls or love handles. If they look like that then they are in a good weight class. Naseem was maxed out at 126 and Mayweather at 147. Sure Floyd could win at higher weights because he is so good but 147 is his best weight.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          Back to the body fat thing again. You can look at a fighter and tell if they are in to heavy of weight class. They should look lean and defined with no visable fat, rolls or love handles. If they look like that then they are in a good weight class. Naseem was maxed out at 126 and Mayweather at 147. Sure Floyd could win at higher weights because he is so good but 147 is his best weight.
          Well heres my question of the thread comes in play!

1. Say floyd goes from 147 to 154-160 would he be an average junior middleweight/middleweight boxer???

Also if he spars with unknown world level 160 pounds and up...would he get handled because of the weight and size???

Comment

1st it depends on the skill of the fighter moving up ,the more skills you have the more weight you can give away to a less skilled bigger opponent until they are just too big and will over whelm you because you cannot keep them off .

2nd it depends on your structure and how you carry the extra weight , at some point it becomes useless baggage .

3rd it depends on your opponents skill , size and punching power and if he is at his correct natural weight .

Going up in weight is forgiving and unless extreme will not hurt you it will give you more power and better recovery at the cost of speed , going down under your threshold will definitely hurt you in all areas .

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
              Well heres my question of the thread comes in play!

1. Say floyd goes from 147 to 154-160 would he be an average junior middleweight/middleweight boxer???

Also if he spars with unknown world level 160 pounds and up...would he get handled because of the weight and size???
              Floyd seems decent at 154. 160, some of the guys there are pretty damn big and cut down to that weight. At 154, there's nobody who really stands out as really big. Sturm, JCC Jr, Lee, etc could be at 168. Martinez is somewhere in the middle. He's slightly small at 160 against the bigger guys, but is otherwise average looking and could make 154. Floyd at 160 would only make sense against Martinez since Martinez is one of the smaller ones..but even then it might be a little much. 168 has some REALLY big guys. If you've ever seen pics of Direll with Floyd, or Ward with Floyd you'd notice the difference. For some reason, 160-168 the size differences start becoming much more obvious. Floyd could definitely beat some of the guys at 168...don't expect excitement though. Bute, Ward, and some of the top guys are too big for Floyd and they don't suck enough to not put their size to use.

Comment

The thread title is hilarious.

Comment

Mayweather and Pacquiao were huge for their first weight classes and continued to grow into higher weight classes, Hamed and Lopez were not and did not.

It depends on the ability (talent and skills), style, strength, and frame of the fighter.

If it's a pressure fighter that relies on a strength advantage, they're not going to be able to move up more than a couple of weight classes without losing effectiveness (Margarito, Hatton, etc.). Strength (physical strength) is an underrated factor in boxing, but unless the fighter's ability is that much greater than their opponents' (or style that difficult), they're going to be at a severe disadvantage (Hearns-Barkley, Khan-Prescott, etc.) .

There are more examples for each, but I'll save it for another day.

Comment

Working...
                  X