Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevenson should put himself up for a bid again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not? It makes business sense, and if the Hopkins fight is really where the money is (which, I guess is the case), Showtime should come through with a substantial bid. HBO desperately wants to make the Kovalev fight, especially given how vulnerable Stevenson looked tonight. Showtime is aware of this. You'd think Stevenson would be in position to get a nice fat offer if he put himself up for another bid.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.king View Post
      Why not? It makes business sense, and if the Hopkins fight is really where the money is (which, I guess is the case), Showtime should come through with a substantial bid. HBO desperately wants to make the Kovalev fight, especially given how vulnerable Stevenson looked tonight. Showtime is aware of this. You'd think Stevenson would be in position to get a nice fat offer if he put himself up for another bid.

Going off of what people in support said in the past, wouldn't it be?

How could getting both networks to bid for you a bad thing?

He wants the money, here's the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
        They were even after he signed with him
        I believe that was because they were under the impression he was not signed with Haymon. Now that he's officially represented by Haymon, HBO has indicated it will not work with him.

Bidding is usually good, but that's not realistic in this scenario. Before Haymon, he was an HBO fighter and I'm sure they worked with him for the bidding process, but no need to work with him now.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
          I believe that was because they were under the impression he was not signed with Haymon. Now that he's officially represented by Haymon, HBO has indicated it will not work with him.

Bidding is usually good, but that's not realistic in this scenario. Before Haymon, he was an HBO fighter and I'm sure they worked with him for the bidding process, but no need to work with him now.
          The timeline is really sketchy on this. I guess you're probably correct.

Comment

So now bidding is a bad thing? Bid, drive the price up and have it in Canada.

Doesn't matter who wins, it's going to happen in Canada
            I was under the impression he signed a cntract with SHO

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
              I was under the impression he signed a cntract with SHO
              They won a bid for that one fight.

GBP has been trying to work out a multi-fight deal with Hopkins in there

Comment

Dude never wanted to fight KOvalev and thanks to stupid Fonfara, he'll never want to fight him. After that near death experience he had, he knows KOvalev will end him and probably have him thinking about suicide afterwards because it'd be less painful than the ass beating he'd get.

Seriously, if he doesn't ask for a bid again, this is an obvious duck.

All his supporters said it's for business and it's a smart business move. Well they should be saying that now....unless they knew all along it's because Kovalev would kick his ass all along

Comment

They won a bid for that one fight.

GBP has been trying to work out a multi-fight deal with Hopkins in there
                  Sounds great in theory but Hopkins ain't fighting on HBO imo

Comment

He was at the end of his contract with HBO, he wanted to fight a tune up which HBO has the first option to get but they only wanted to sign him if he signed a multi fight deal with a guarantee to fight Kovalev. They didn't tell him how much money he would get for Kovalev though and so Showtime signed him to a deal to broadcast his next fight......this is what happens when a B side upsets a champ and the network has options on him. So he could fight for HBO or Sho for his next fight.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post

Have they? Pretty sure they said they were still open. I'm sure they're not keen on Haymon, but I don't think there has been an absolute bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X