Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne McCullough: "Ortiz should've had 5 minutes to recover"

By foul means

Mayweather KO should not have been allowed to happen

The fourth round is where the controversy began. While Mayweather was pinned on the ropes, Ortiz landed some good body shots for the first time in the fight, then threw a few head shots that missed. Showing his frustration, Ortiz came up with his head and clearly butted Mayweather. Referee Joe Cortez immediately deducted a point.

The fighters got close as Ortiz looked as though he was apologising to Mayweather. Cortez had his eyes on the timekeeper waiting for the acknowledgment to allow the fight to continue. Mayweather connected with a left hook and a right hand to the chin of Ortiz who fell to the canvas.

Cortez was clearly not looking at the fighters and had not instructed them to box on when the punches landed. Ortiz was also looking at the referee waiting for his instructions when h got hit and went down. He tried to get up but was counted out.

As fighters we are told to "protect yourself at all times" but in this case the referee wasn't even looking at the fighters when the punches were thrown. He ultimately should have put them in neutral corners or separated them far enough to where they couldn't land any punches while waiting for the referee's instruction. After a foul, the referee should always say "box" - but in this case he didn't.

Mayweather should have been deducted two points and Oritz should have been given five minutes to recover but neither happened. I know Cortez personally but in my opinion I feel as though he made a mistake and he and the commission should step up and admit it.

Even though it has happened to me, I would never take a cheap shot against my opponent.
    http://www.skysports.com/opinion/sto...188341,00.html

if cortez saw the suckerpunch, maybe he'd have given ortiz a chance to recover and continue the fight

Comment

Cortez didn't see it tho...its like WWF when the manager distracts the ref and the villain pulls out his brass knuckles and KOs the good guy...

Comment

The fight should have been called a no contest... but then everyone would want their money back... so won't happen.

Comment

it wasn't a sucker-punch. if time wasn't in and floyd hit ortiz blind with a concussive two-piece, cortez wouldn't have given vic 5 minutes, he'd have dq'd floyd. time was in, so it's not a sucker-punch

those 12 rounds with naz left wayne with some brain damage, clearly.

Comment

a good referee would have bent the rules (like kaylee bayless)

but we're talking about fair and firm stick in the ass joe cortez here.

Comment

Jesus, am I the only white person that actually thought what Floyd did was correct. Watching the fight I saw two fighters walk back to center of the ring after a point deduction, one had his hands up ready to continue and the other didn't. Victor Ortiz got a 2.5 million dollar lesson saturday.

Comment

"and had not instructed them to box on when the punches landed."

article fails right there. joe clearly did instruct them and there was nothing vague about his instruction. the universal hand-gesture for time-in and a bark of "let's go". referees do not always say "box" when restarting a fight, whether they're supposed to or not. "let's go" is more than acceptable instruction and not in the least bit vague.

the weebler ii wouldn't even be posting this if he wasn't still suffering from 4 years of hurt (see his av, he's never gotten over it).

Comment

Originally posted by SickRacistThug View Post
                  it wasn't a sucker-punch. if time wasn't in and floyd hit ortiz blind with a concussive two-piece, cortez wouldn't have given vic 5 minutes, he'd have dq'd floyd. time was in, so it's not a sucker-punch

those 12 rounds with naz left wayne with some brain damage, clearly.
                  do you even know what a suckerpunch is???
                  Last edited by Pullcounter; 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Cortez was clearly not looking at the fighters and had not instructed them to box on when the punches landed. Ortiz was also looking at the referee waiting for his instructions when h got hit and went down. He tried to get up but was counted out.
                    Yahoo
                    Talked to Keith Kizer of NV Commission. Cortez pointed to time keeper and said time in. Punches were legal, according to Kizer. #boxing

http://twitter.com/#!/KevinI/status/115287548951146496

Someone needs to go back and rewatch that fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X