Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tough and adjustable is sparring in professional boxing training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tough and adjustable is sparring in professional boxing training?

My main objective is to learn boxing in a technical sense.

How beat up will I get in sparring sessions? Are they adjustable for a person not interested in being a ring fighter (more marial-arts, self defence).

Will I likely suffer from a broken nose and other damages, even when wearing a helmet?

My question is simply this: can I steer my professional boxing training to be more traditional martial arts oriented, and still be a boxer

My main streight is in speed and foot movement. I excel in every athletic sport - badminton, tennis. Everything involving hand - eye - foot cordination. Is this, in any way, remotely connected to potentially being a good boxer? I do posses great streight in my arms, but I have no clue how it translate to pure punching power.
    Last edited by Pleonism; 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM.

Originally posted by Pleonism View Post
    My main objective is to learn boxing in a technical sense.

How beat up will I get in sparring sessions? Are they adjustable for a person not interested in being a ring fighter (more marial-arts, self defence).

Will I likely suffer from a broken nose and other damages, even when wearing a helmet?

My question is simply this: can I steer my professional boxing training to be more traditional martial arts oriented, and still be a boxer

My main streight is in speed and foot movement. I excel in every athletic sport - badminton, tennis. Everything involving hand - eye - foot cordination. Is this, in any way, remotely connected to potentially being a good boxer? I do posses great streight in my arms, but I have no clue how it translate to pure punching power.
    having strong arm wont do much of anything for your power. from a physical point of view its mainly about your legs and back, then again your physique dont matter if you dont have good technique. thats what really matters when it comes to power.

if you dont want to get touched up in sparring you cant train at a professional level. fighters dont go hard every day in sparring, some days are more technical but there are hard sparring sessions too.

you can box, just not at any kind of level. most gyms have sessions for people like you who just want a taste of the sport for self defense reasons, general fitness or simply facing a new challenge.

professional training is for "ring fighters" as you put it, its that simple. if you never boxed before you will start in the fitness group anyways, then you can decide how you want to steer your training. if you want to be an actual boxer that has to be your objective though, which in this case it isnt. but you can still learn plenty and enjoy yourself.

btw, if yo never got proper tagged before technique generally goes out the window when you do. the idea of learning how to fight without putting yourself in harms way isnt realistic, how you react when in harms way is what decides if you have what it takes to be a fighter. ive seen countless fighters who look great on the bags and when shadowboxing only to turn into a panicking mess as soon as they get nailed with a big shot.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
      having strong arm wont do much of anything for your power. from a physical point of view its mainly about your legs and back, then again your physique dont matter if you dont have good technique. thats what really matters when it comes to power.

if you dont want to get touched up in sparring you cant train at a professional level. fighters dont go hard every day in sparring, some days are more technical but there are hard sparring sessions too.

you can box, just not at any kind of level. most gyms have sessions for people like you who just want a taste of the sport for self defense reasons, general fitness or simply facing a new challenge.

professional training is for "ring fighters" as you put it, its that simple. if you never boxed before you will start in the fitness group anyways, then you can decide how you want to steer your training. if you want to be an actual boxer that has to be your objective though, which in this case it isnt. but you can still learn plenty and enjoy yourself.

btw, if yo never got proper tagged before technique generally goes out the window when you do. the idea of learning how to fight without putting yourself in harms way isnt realistic, how you react when in harms way is what decides if you have what it takes to be a fighter. ive seen countless fighters who look great on the bags and when shadowboxing only to turn into a panicking mess as soon as they get nailed with a big shot.
      I definately want contact, but not full force. A great fighter is born, not created. Of course, for competitive reasons, one needs elaborate and really hard hitting sparring. But that's not what I seek. I just want to be good boxer in techniques, not actual fighting. Most street thugs would go down against basic boxing knowledge.
      Last edited by Pleonism; 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post

i just want to comment on two things.
        1. tennis badminton etc... actually, any sport... usually takes a lot of full body coordination. im pretty sure u dont swing at a tennis ball with your arms alone... liek a punch, you use ur legs->core->upperbody->finally arms..
        2. and without proper discipline... some ppl get power-hungry and swing haymakers despite all the training lol... every ****ing amateur fight i watched so far (of course the places i live, boxing isnt very popular), they ****ing swing like theyre a street fighter... (exaggerated)

Comment

I definately want contact, but not full force. A great fighter is born, not created. Of course, for competitive reasons, one needs elaborate and really hard hitting sparring. But that's not what I seek. I just want to be good boxer in techniques, not actual fighting. Most street thugs would go down against basic boxing knowledge.
          just go to a gym, ask ur questions there.
          it may differ gym to gym.
          but usually, yea u dont have to spar if u dont want to... and if u do, u can always ask for a light-technique-focused sparring session... but its obviously less realistic and prepares u for less.. and usually (as long as ur not too unathletically gifted, and ur opponent aint a ****ing giant/ass hole) nothing gets broken...

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
            i just want to comment on two things.
            1. tennis badminton etc... actually, any sport... usually takes a lot of full body coordination. im pretty sure u dont swing at a tennis ball with your arms alone... liek a punch, you use ur legs->core->upperbody->finally arms..
            2. and without proper discipline... some ppl get power-hungry and swing haymakers despite all the training lol... every ****ing amateur fight i watched so far (of course the places i live, boxing isnt very popular), they ****ing swing like theyre a street fighter... (exaggerated)
            I served very hard in my payed sessions in tennis. The trainer asked me if I had done volleyball, which I haven't. I think my shoulders are strong.

Beat grown ups in arm wrestling in school, when I was only 16-17 years old, and trained some karate and taekwondo, and stuff. Got a draw opposite an active greco-roman wrestler, under sumo rules. Just all round good at physical competitions.

I am a great fan of all the martial arts, and boxing punches are the best punches in the world, in pure knockout force.
            Last edited by Pleonism; 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Sparring will be fine, make sure who you're sparring and who is training knows it is your first time and they'll go easy.

Also take it easy yourself, they'll go as hard as you are- if you go swinging looking to KO your sparring partner then they'll put you on your arse.

Comment

are you here to boast or here for knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  are you here to boast or here for knowledge?
                  I don't consider college merits to be boasting. I am curious as to whether or not they are any indicators of (potential) boxing abilities.

Comment

You face a problem here.

First off, you can (and should) start with technical sparring as a beginner in boxing. I start my kids out with defending different punches and combo's to get them used to what they need to do. It's the best way to learn muscle memory of what you need to do, practice on your technique and actually "learn" the sport of boxing.

The problem you face is that going at that pace, you will not be a good boxer. So in essence, it will be for nothing but show to be honest. Sooner or later to be a good boxer, you need to go full speed. Because in real life, and in the ring, your opponent will be going full speed.

What I liked so much about boxing over the other combat sports or martial arts, was that it forced you to use what you learned in the ring. There is no such thing as a Kata in boxing, so there's no "exhibition". You either fight or you don't.

Going over the technical aspect of it is the first step, but in the long run it won't teach you to be a good boxer if that's what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X