Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mayweather is the 5th best fighter I have ever seen." - My 83 year old Grandpa

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mayweather is the 5th best fighter I have ever seen." - My 83 year old Grandpa

his top 5 is:

1. Ali
    2. Leonard
    3. Duran
    4. Roy Jones Jr.
    5. Mayweather

He's in town and always wants to talk boxing with me.

His thoughts on Calzaghe/Hopkins:

"I have only seen Hopkins fight one other time and that was against Trinidad. He fought beautifully and even if he was the same size as Trinidad, the fight would had ended the same way. He is just a better fighter. But what I saw in that fight against that guy from England wasnt the same. He kept turning his back and running away at times. You know what they used to do in Mexico back then? Anytime you turned your back, the ref would give you a count because they took at as you submitting. If you kept doing it, you would be disqualified. The other guy couldnt even throw a punch right so there was no need for the black guy to run. He should have put him away."

On Cotto/Gomez:

"Gomez was too green for Cotto. Gomez is a good fighter. I saw his fight with Gatti and also against another black guy and he showed he belong at the professional level, just not Cotto's level. No adjustment in the world would had helped Gomez in that fight. Cotto is just on a completely different level."

*he said he saw the Tackie fight on a station in Mexico. Wierd cuz i didnt know ESPN lended rights to fights like that*

On De La Hoya/Forbes:

"De La Hoya just isnt the same fighter anymore. He doesnt have the hunger to push himself, to really want it. When you have that much money, when you have many other priorities other than boxing, it is impossible to have the same will and determination you had when all you had was boxing. The SKILL may be there, but if you're heart isnt in it, all the skill in the world won't matter. He is a better business man now than he is a boxer. Who is he fighting again?"

I told him who Steve Forbes was and he gave me a weird look.
    Then I told him why he was fighting Forbes, which is a tune up for Mayweather again, he game me another weird look.

On Floyd Mayweather:

"De La Hoya can fight Mayweather 20 times and Mayweather would win all 20 times. The same De La Hoya who beat Vargas would get beat by Mayweather 20 times. Mayweather is one of the best fighters I've ever seen. He would had been successful in any era. Leonard would have had trouble with Floyd and I doubt he would win convincingly."

yeah, cant say i agree with EVERYTHING my grandpa says but i respect and listen when he says something.

Hard to knock that list , old people can be pretty switched on at times

Comment

he's only seen hopkins fight once but he's seen gomez fight twice

I think this is really you talking poor kid.......

Comment

Originally posted by rogelio1289 View Post
        he's only seen hopkins fight once but he's seen gomez fight twice

I think this is really you talking poor kid.......
        i didnt ask why he didnt see hopkins much before but if you used that syphilis infested sponge you call a brain, it would makes sense.

Trinidad wasnt only a PR star but a latino star. he's seen a ****load of Trini fights so it would only make sense that he saw Bernard against Trinidad. but of course your simple ass mind wouldnt have been able to make that connection. i'd love to play a game of connect 4 against you.

as far a gomez fights, my grandpa has HBO latino in mexico and if your dumbass actually followed boxing instead of just repeating what people say on this forum to actually make it seem like you have an original opinion to contribute, you'd know that Gomez fought Gatti on HBO. As far as the Tackie fight, i know some networks in mexico show fights that are broadcasted on American networks.

god you are a complete imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
          i didnt ask why he didnt see hopkins much before but if you used that syphilis infested sponge you call a brain, it would makes sense.

Trinidad wasnt only a PR star but a latino star. he's seen a ****load of Trini fights so it would only make sense that he saw Bernard against Trinidad. but of course your simple ass mind wouldnt have been able to make that connection. i'd love to play a game of connect 4 against you.

as far a gomez fights, my grandpa has HBO latino in mexico and if your dumbass actually followed boxing instead of just repeating what people say on this forum to actually make it seem like you have an original opinion to contribute, you'd know that Gomez fought Gatti on HBO. As far as the Tackie fight, i know some networks in mexico show fights that are broadcasted on American networks.

god you are a complete imbecile.
          so he didnt see roy jones vs bernard? but he seen bernard vs calzaghe??? where's the logic behind that?? He didnt see bernard vs dlh??? but he has seen gomez fight twice lol and doesnt even know who an ex world champ steve forbes is?????

Comment

grandpa seems like a pretty wise dude those are some of my all time favorite,

interesting an 83 yr old man doesnt put SRR in his top 5 tho?

Comment

Originally posted by rogelio1289 View Post
              so he didnt see roy jones vs bernard? but he seen bernard vs calzaghe??? where's the logic behind that?? He didnt see bernard vs dlh??? but he has seen gomez fight twice lol and doesnt even know who an ex world champ steve forbes is?????
              are you ****ing kidding me? look at what you're doing. you are questioning my grandfather's fanhood on an internet messageboard. my grandfather who still was considered OLD during the time these fights happen which i didnt spend every waking moment with him to make sure he sees every ****ing fight possible just so that some dumb, ignorant poster who's ass is still hurting from all the sonnings ive given him on this forum so he takes it upon himself to talk **** continuously? talk ****? so again, i ask you, are...you...****in....kidding.....me?
              Last edited by 2501; 04-24-2008, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                grandpa seems like a pretty wise dude those are some of my all time favorite,

interesting an 83 yr old man doesnt put SRR in his top 5 tho?
                it's just 2501 being bored again and having nothing to do so he spends 45 minutes making up a story about his granpa lol now read the stuff he put does it actually look like his grandpa really followed boxing lol

Comment

Roy

Comment

Interesting comments from your grandfather.

Comment

Working...
                    X