Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any Southpaws that use the shoulder roll?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lara sort of used it against Canelo. Well not so much of a roll, but he had his right shoulder more forward than usual.

Comment

As a south paw the rolling is nearly null and void against orthodox fighters. You may roll a shot or two but the quick countering in the rythme is just not there to be had.

Comment

zab Judah, pernell whitaker, Dirrell is a switch hitter but rolls punches very well as does Terrance Crawford

Comment

You can't really roll the straight right with your lead shoulder as a southpaw.

I mean in the defensive stance itself, you'll have your chin tucked and you're shielded from the lead left of your opponent. The actual shoulder roll itself may be used, but sparingly when the punching angles allow it to be effective. Which would probably be during some sort of exchange where punches are thrown off a pivot.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
            Thabiso Mchunu
            Oleksander Usyk
            I've never seen usyk use the shoulder roll

Comment

Pirog is a switch hitter and always used the shoulder roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Abed View Post
                Pirog is a switch hitter and always used the shoulder roll.
                ... It's quite difficult to clearly decelate the shoulder roll with the fighters who display the lost art of switching...

(Lucian Bute tried to use the shoulder roll -- with a poor outcome, as it showed...)

Comment

Toney is really the only orthodox guy i can think of who uses it effectively against lefties. Jirov, R.Johnson, second half of the Nunn fight.

Comment

It's rare because a shoulder roll is most effective against a fighter with same stance...and most fighters are orthodox

Comment

Working...
                    X