Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As far as the general public goes: Are Ali, Tyson, FMJ, Pac...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as the general public goes: Are Ali, Tyson, FMJ, Pac...

The only real known pro boxers world wide no matter the background, financial status(poor, no tv, internet) or sports knowledge of the person?

That is the vibe I get when speaking to someone who knows nothing about boxing. Tyson, Ali, Mayweather and Pacquiao are typically the only known boxers by the general public, non casual boxing fans.

SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Robinson, etc are all known, but a lot of times, from people who never watched boxing, they don't them. But if you mention Tyson, Mayweather, Ali, Pac, they reply with an "of course!"

That seems the way it is. I've met a dad who watched boxing back in the Tyson era.

"You know, I used to watch Tyson fight!" or "You know (insert young guy's name) my first fight I watched was Roberto Duran vs..."

But then he said "Adrien Broner looks like Muhammad Ali in there" during the fight against John Molina.

Comment

pretty much and some are known because they fought these fighters u mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        That seems the way it is. I've met a dad who watched boxing back in the Tyson era.

"You know, I used to watch Tyson fight!" or "You know (insert young guy's name) my first fight I watched was Roberto Duran vs..."

But then he said "Adrien Broner looks like Muhammad Ali in there" during the fight against John Molina.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post

it doesn't take long for casuals to expose themselves

Comment

A lot of people don't know who Money May is. Over the years when I talk to people about catching a Mayweather fight, they heard the name but they don't know if he's a boxer or what he is. I think Ray Leonard might still be a bigger name. Foreman for sure.

Comment

imo, just tyson and ali, floyd and manny aren't there

Comment

Does George Foreman's popularity count if they own the grill but don't know he's a boxer?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  it doesn't take long for casuals to expose themselves
                  The neighbors after the May-Pac fight:

"Andre Ward would KO Floyd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                    imo, just tyson and ali, floyd and manny aren't there
                    I'd go with that. Ive spoken to a few non sport people who dont know who Floyd and Manny are. I tell them they are two of the highest paid atheletes in the world and they just shrug lol

Ali and Tyson are known even if you know jack sht about sports

Comment

Working...
                    X