No announcement yet.

Most skilled swarmer/pressure fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phallus View Post
    henry Armstrong, the only 3 div world champion in different weights at the same time, and he should have won the middleweight championship. greatest swarmer of all time
    Armstrong is the mold nd many believe after Henry they broke the mold. I can think of some exceptional swarmers....early Holyfield was one, but I can't think of any one as purely relentless as Homicide Hank!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Armstrong is the mold nd many believe after Henry they broke the mold. I can think of some exceptional swarmers....early Holyfield was one, but I can't think of any one as purely relentless as Homicide Hank!
      Jeff Fenech and Chang were pretty relentless in their own right.

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned the others I've pointed on the list such as Dwight Qawi or Woo, who I think are becoming very underrated. Fought with a buzzsaw attack but at the same time were very hard to hit cleanly.
      Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 02-12-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Hasn't been mentioned yet, and may not be a true "inside" fighter but a guy that put incredible amounts of pressure was tito Trinidad..

Every tito fight was the same

Rd 1 he would jab and feel you out, moving laterally, maybe unload if the moment presented itself (vargas)

2 he would jab and open up alittle more and instead of moving laterally he starts coming forward more

Rd 3 he is still jabbing but coming forward nonstop and throwing a lot of bombs..

And if at anytime tito ladded a big bomb early in the first 3 rds he would immediately turn into terminator mode and hunt you down throwing bombs for the rest of the fight..

From rounds 4 on, tito would abandon the jab for the most part, come straight forward and unload nothing but power shots, and would pick his tempo up in the late rounds...

Tito truly made a lot of world class guys buckle under the constant pressure.. Even hopkins who was dissecting tito was still being walked down until the stoppage

i wouldn't describe trinidad as a swarmer / pressure fighter at all.

he was much more of a boxer puncher.

Comment

in terms of skills, it's probably armstrong.

not only was he extremely effective, his stamina, which is as important as any other attribute when you're a pressure fighter, might be the best of all time.

Comment

I'm torn between Harry Grebb, Henry Armstrong, and Stanley Ketchel.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Trinidad could be described as a pressure fighter of a particular sort, a bit like Michalczewski.

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
              Out of these HOF fighters that used the come forward, aggressive style who do you think was the most skilled, effective swarmer/pressure fighter H2H? And who had the best in-fighting skill?

Jack Dempsey
              Rocky Marciano
              Mike Tyson
              Joe Frazier
              Dwight Muhammad Qawi
              Joe Calzaghe
              Jake LaMotta
              Roberto Duran
              Terry Norris
              Julio Cesar Chavez
              Aaron Pryor
              Henry Armstrong
              Brian Mitchell
              Vicente Saldivar
              Jeff Fenech
              Fighting Harada
              Khaosai Galaxy
              Jung Koo Chang
              Myung Woo Yuh
              I suppose I think Duran was the most skilled. Armstrong probably swarmed successfully over the greatest volume of opposition. For about 5 years or so it doesn't seem that any opponent could keep Armstrong off them for more than a couple of seconds at a time, round after round after round but perhaps the opponents weren't as powerful, strong and as skilled as at least a couple that Fenech and Chang fought. I think Fenech or Chang may have been ever better at their best than Armstrong. Chavez was probably the most effective at pressurizing without throwing many punches, he could make opponents just throw and throw and tire themselves out whilst Chavez maintained his energy.

Comment

Thats what i would think....Ward, for example is much more of a swarmer and even him it is more of a body attack per se.

Comment

Thats what i would think....Ward, for example is much more of a swarmer and even him it is more of a body attack per se.
                  Obviously not a swarmer, and boxer puncher is exactly what he is, but in terms of pressure, tito was constant pressure, constantly moving towards you, unloading shots all the time..
                  His constant pressure buckled a lot of guys as they could not keep up the pace.. Vargas, mayorga, Oscar, etc they all broke either mentally or physically late..
                  Only hopkins had the ability to tame a prime tito and deal with the pressure

Comment

Huge respect for the older ATGs Dempsey, LaMotta & Duran etc but in my life time has to be Mickey Ward. Look at him vs his against opponents not named Gatti. Vicious.

Comment

Working...
                    X