Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone notive García was not sporting the PR flag on his trunks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exciterx30 View Post
    This is a sold response and I agree with most of it. I am not completely sure if Golden Boy are the ones behind the Puerto Rico push but if Oscar said that then you may be right.
    I am not sure either, to be honest. The truth is Danny, like many people born in the US with ethnic background or ties to another country, is an impossible situation.

He can claim to be from Philly, therefore angering those who want to claim him

Or

He can claim to be from PR, step in PR, and find out very quickly that he's not PR as people raised in the island, and have his credentials questioned.

Take a proud Mexican American to some town in Veracruz; very quickly he'll have his credentials and his own sense of mexicanness questioned.

Its really an impossible situation made worst by people who take it too seriously. So, its best to let Danny decide if he wants to identify with either of them, any, or maybe both.

As far as I can tell he's a solid boxer, potentially the best at 140, and a good guy. The rest is up to him.

Comment

Originally posted by JaguaresMx
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Exciterx30

This is a sold response and I agree with most of it. I am not completely sure if Golden Boy are the ones behind the Puerto Rico push but if Oscar said that then you may be right.

I am not sure either, to be honest. The truth is Danny, like many people born in the US with ethnic background or ties to another country, is an impossible situation.

Or

He can claim to be from PR, step in PR, and find out very quickly that he's not PR, and have his credentials questioned.

Take a proud Mexican American to some town in Veracruz; very quickly he'll have his credentials and his own sense of mexicanness questioned.

Its really an impossible situation made worst by people who take it too seriously. So, its best to let Danny decide if he wants to identify with either of them, any, or maybe both.

As far as I can tell he's a solid boxer, potentially the best at 140, and a good guy. The rest is up to him.
      Reminds me of when Rios fought on the Spanish channel then was interviewed in Spanish and didn't know WTF they were saying.

So yea, you're right.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post

Or

He can claim to be from PR, step in PR, and find out very quickly that he's not PR as people raised in the island, and have his credentials questioned.

Boxing is a business and DLH is a rich man because he knows how to maximize commercial potential. There's a reason why he's a millionaire but I think this nationality thing is a personal choice. It benefits fighters business-wise but if it's fake it will be known in the end. Anyways, I wish Danny García a lot of luck in the ring and I enjoy his fights. After all, that's what I look for.

Comment

Here's the thing about DLH. He was actually involved (for a lack of better words) with the people he repped. He even went into the music industry and sang in Spanish. When I didn't know better I couldve sworn the guy was actually Mexican but of course I found out later he was Mexican American.

I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that if you ask Garcia or Rios something about the PR/Mexico history they couldnt tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            I was extremely saddened when Shane Mosley stopped wearing the Korean flag.

Personally, I felt Shane turned his back on his people. Smh
            Shane Mosley is part Korean?

Comment

I think is fine for mexicans and puerto ricans to rep rios or garcia.. At the end of the day if they are not mexican and puerto rican what are they then. In america what are they perceived as? If u see rios on the street or garcia? If some one sees there last name on a job application? Im sure they grew up eating food from there countries, listening to music from there country and when someone ask them what they were in school, Im sure they said mexican and puerto rican not american..

I will never understand why rios isnt mexican enuff or garcia isnt boriqua enough...

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                Here's the thing about DLH. He was actually involved (for a lack of better words) with the people he repped. He even went into the music industry and sang in Spanish. When I didn't know better I couldve sworn the guy was actually Mexican but of course I found out later he was Mexican American.

I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that if you ask Garcia or Rios something about the PR/Mexico history they couldnt tell ya.

You didnt know Oscar was Mexican-American? So you thought he won his gold medal for Mexico. You think the Mexican people wouldve named him the Golden Boy? Now if his name was El Oro de Nino or something like that than I could see why you wouldve that that.

Comment

Working...
                X