Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith Thurman vs Julio Diaz & Undercards RBR & Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthysse looked sharp, maybe his chin is going but otherwise he looked good. I think it's more likely he was caught while still somewhat cold. He never looked that hurt. The second KD was an obvious shot to the back of the head. Otherwise he looked good.

This fight was more about what a tough SOB Molina is. He's one of those guys who's always dangerous. I underestimated how tough he is and how hard he hits.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Matthysse looked sharp, maybe his chin is going but otherwise he looked good. I think it's more likely he was caught while still somewhat cold. He never looked that hurt. The second KD was an obvious shot to the back of the head. Otherwise he looked good.

This fight was more about what a tough SOB Molina is. He's one of those guys who's always dangerous. I underestimated how tough he is and how hard he hits.
      He gave a post-fight interview saying he was never hurt, but that Molina was the hardest puncher he's faced.

The only time he's been hurt (according to him) was against Soto.

Comment

• Well I think it's comfortable enough for us to say this was the most entertaining showcase this month. This was actually PPV worthy in particular of that Matthyse fight. I felt the panic in the air of the Matthyse fans and Matthyse came through this time. Molina is a tough SOB and Matthyse finally got a championship round knockout.

Who do you guys see in these two fighters futures?

Also how serious do you think Diaz rib injury is? Joel seems like a prick..

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
          Because this site is about real boxers, not fabricated hypejobs? Just a guess
          Top Rank whole stable besides Marquez is hype jobs in actuality. How well would Bradley and those others guys do over at Showtime. I don't think they do better than ok at the most.

I bet you felt stupid after seeing the event last night

Comment

• People thought Thurman got hurt?

Also think he panics when gets hurt?

Obviously never watched Thurman fought before and took a heighten heart Al Bernstein words over your eyes or your blind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shambrolic View Post
              Top Rank whole stable besides Marquez is hype jobs in actuality. How well would Bradley and those others guys do over at Showtime. I don't think they do better than ok at the most.

I bet you felt stupid after seeing the event last night
              He'd beat them all.....he already beat Alexander and Porter was going to him on advice on fighting him. Ward even said that Bradley was the toughest fighter he had ever faced. Tim and Pac cut through that stable rather easily. You don't see any of those Showtime dudes in the top p4p do you? Didn't think so and there is a reason for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shambrolic View Post
                People thought Thurman got hurt?

Also think he panics when gets hurt?

Obviously never watched Thurman fought before and took a heighten heart Al Bernstein words over your eyes or your blind.
                Porter will KO Thurman....he fights like RJJ...once the chin gets checked, it's a wrap

Comment

• Thurman got hit on the chin plenty of times by Chavez who has a high knockout percentage and both had the same record knockouts and all when Thurman fought him. Many people felt Chaves exposed Thurman, although Thirman was the one the to get the knockout.

Prodvonikov had Bradley in desperate trouble and Marquez put Pacquiao in a deep sleep and before powder punching Bradley tired out he had PAC lifting off his feet from a awkward uppercut and making faces of constipation from body shots. Thurman has better boxing ability and much more power than the men named.

When Thurman got rocked by Jesus Soto Karass he didn't panic instead he went to work and got the fight back in control. He understood how Karass countered him from him throwing the long distance uppercut and he adjust while faking the punch to hit him clean with the left hook. I'm sorry his boxing will destroy both of these guys.

Porter is a younger, better, stronger and smarter Bradley. He gets rough and bang it out but also know how to establish a boxing plan. Pacquiao is not surviving against him at all. Bradley gets beat as well as Porter can egg him into a fire fight then switch off and then start boxing him. Bradley can't take body punches and Porter will definitely stick some to his gut.

Comment

• Matthysse looked great as in he showed his destructive power as well as some vulnerability. He could be the "Manny Pacquiao" of Showtime. Nice quiet boxer that puts on exciting fights.

Comment

• after having a couple days to let it all digest, I wanna give my thoughts on the Matthysse Molina fight

Matthysse was coming off a 7 month layoff, which is the longest layoff he's ever had in his entire career (source: BoxRec). He was matched up against a guy who has power in both hands, who is often overlooked by his opponents. I said months ago that there was a good chance that Matthysse would get dropped in this fight (source: NSB Thread). The ring rust factor, along with Molina having power and being overlooked could spell trouble for Lucas and it did

People are saying Lucas is a slow starter, and that's why he was dropped in the 2nd round. I disagree, Lucas was bringing the fight to Molina from 1-11. That was actually one of the questions I had coming into this fight, which guy would be taking the step back and I actually thought Lucas would actually fight more off the back foot like he did vs Judah and Alexander and Molina would come forward ala Margarito, but it was completely the opposite.

One thing Lucas does that irritates me as a fan of his, is that he never respects his opponents. He seems to take shots well, but a lot of these shots he should be able to avoid. IMO he looked sharper vs Garcia & Peterson than he did vs Molina. He was slipping punches and moving his head really well vs Peterson & Garcia, whereas last night he was getting hit a lot with small chippy shots, as well as the right hand on the top of the head that dropped him. I think this just goes to the ring rust factor, as well as his team probably not taking Molina seriously. Again, I don't think he respects his opponents, perhaps this is due to him not having to ever face adversity except for in the Garcia & Harris fights.

Lucas does a lot of solid technical things in the ring, he's excellent at parrying with his open gloves and last night you saw him use his full right and left arm to deflect Molina's hooks leaving Molina open for counters. He was also very mobile for parts of the fight, using in and out movement and he also showed he has above an above-average inside game. Lucas displayed better footwork than we've ever seen from Adrien Broner

Lucas handspeed was excellent as well, the combination punching in the 10th and 11th rounds were very fast, and to carry that speed and stamina late into a fight makes him a very dangerous fighter for anyone his own size. It needs to be stated again, the dude has an insane motor. You can say what you want about his nickname "The Machine", but I think you could attribute that nickname to his excellent conditioning just as much as you could to the guys power that he can carry into the late rounds of any fight. Remember, he had Danny hurt in the 10th round as he hit Danny flush with a right hand that sent his mouthpiece flying into the seats.

His jab was key last night. I've never seen Lucas use the jab so effectively in any fight to date. This was an impressive jab that was consistently snapping Molina's head back, and the speed of the jab was also impressive as it was able to surprise Molina and split his guard easily.

Lucas seems to get incredibly frustrated when he gets tagged and goes into some sort of beast mode which could get him hurt in future fights. You could see he was more patient early in the fight, but in the 5th round when he was dropped for the second time he seemed to just want to blitz Molina out as soon as possible. The fight changed right here

I don't think either of Molina's knockdowns actually had Lucas hurt, as he didn't show any problems with his legs when he got back up. In fact, he was stunned badly at the end of the first round which I think was the hardest shot that he took in the entire fight. He should've been given 5 minutes to recover from the shot behind the head, as this was a foul that everyone who's seen the fight agrees with

Molina has proven his power indeed carried up to 140 and I think he's a better fighter than people give him credit for, but he's still C-level and the fact that he had success (this is relative, given that Lucas was winning the rounds where he was dropped) tells me that Lucas' team did not take this fight seriously and also attributed to having the longest lay off of his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X