Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you foresee the WBC working around GGG's mandatory shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    LOL. Yea this is kinda my stance. Idk how they do it, but I suspect Canelo will have a hard time losing the belt or find himself getting a new belt somehow someway.

People don't realize or ignore that these alphabet groups get 3% of purses for the fights they sanction so its important for them to be getting that 3% from the biggest purses in the sport. Thats why rules get bent & even broken at times for certain fighters & guys who don't generate big purses are easily stripped. People who hype belts don't realize this is just a company trying to take home as much profit as possible not some entity looking out for boxing or whos the real champion.
    Exactly and 3% of a Canelo purse is alot more than 3% of a GGG purse. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if Canelo became the Interim champ and GGG the regular champ. Somehow I think there will be more green belts than needed...

Comment

Controversial draw, decision and/or stoppage forcing an immediate rematch

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
        Controversial draw, decision and/or stoppage forcing an immediate rematch
        Yeah I can see a draw leading to a definite rubber match no matter how fight 2 turns out. The WBC loves the Mexican and PR fan money...

Comment

It's in the WBC's interests to have GGG face Canelo, if that has to be at 155 so be it, I don't see Canelo taking that fight no matter what personally. Even if he vacated they could elevate GGG right away and have ginger fighting for a regional/continental/international belt soon afterwards, even the full title if they elevated him.

The WBC really can't force Canelo or they risk losing him to another organisation how they get around it I'm unsure. I should imagine they are hopeful he does in fact face GGG, as I'm sure Cotto is even less enthusiastic than Canelo in regards to facing GGG.

The lineage here to me is of most importance and if GGG wants that most he may very well have to fight at 155 and take a hit financially, that IMO is his best option. I'm sure he will be open minded for a catch weight for either victor with the monies on offer. He's in a position where he can embarrass his opponents stock should they openly refuse to face him, that is about the only reason I suspect these proposed match ups go ahead, if they do ! No way would either Cotto or Canelo take the fight otherwise, it's easier for them to drop the belt afterwards, obviously the WBC will not want that, Cotto can go back to 154 if he chooses not to retire and Canelo can easily continue to fight at 155 with or without the WBC belt.

Comment

simple

Cotto-Alvarez winner gets declared WBC world middleweight champion emeritus (allowing for an immediate title shot against the WBC 160 champion whenever they return to the division) and move down to their more natural 154 weight class.

Golovkin gets handed the belt, confirming his WBC reigh with a mandatory defense against the WBC's top rated middleweight.

Cotto/Alvarez both remain in the WBC fold, this time at 154, and Golovkin continues to idle at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              Lets be real here guys, do you really think the WBC is going to mandate the winner of Cotto vs Canelo especially if its Canelo? Well my question is, how do you see the WBC working away around its own rules allowing the Canelo vs Cotto winner to keep the belt? Will they make up a new belt? Will money be offered to GGG??
              WBC gonna strip the winner once they announce that he has no intentions on fighting Golovkin at the full 160 weight limit. Then they announce Golovkin is the full WBC champion on Facebook and GGG becomes a global superstar!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Cotto-Alvarez winner gets declared WBC world middleweight champion emeritus (allowing for an immediate title shot against the WBC 160 champion whenever they return to the division) and move down to their more natural 154 weight class.

Golovkin gets handed the belt, confirming his WBC reigh with a mandatory defense against the WBC's top rated middleweight.

Cotto/Alvarez both remain in the WBC fold, this time at 154, and Golovkin continues to idle at 160.
                Can Canelo make 154 ?

Comment

It won't come to that. GGG is more interested in the payday, and they'll fight at a catchweight.

Comment

Few possible scenarios

1-they may order canelo-cotto 2 if the fight is close

2- if Cotto beats canelo, there is now way cotto fights Golovkin unless it's a catchweight and cotto gets floyd type guarantee.. I can see cotto vacating, maybe retire, and Golovkin will fight someone else for the vacant belt

3- Canelo beats cotto, I think hbo and sanctioning bodies will allow a split site co PPv with Golovkin and roman fighting in LA and canelo vs TBA in Texas in May, GGG fights n'dam and canelo vs lee.. The follow it up with a ggg-canelo fight for all the marbles in sept

Comment

I am hoping the WBC will do exactly what they said they would. Make the winner defend the title against GGG at 160 pounds in their next fight or forfeit the title to GGG. Sometimes the WBC correctly enforces their own rules but often they don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X