Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward vs Martinez - American Double Standard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
    when floyd retires ward can rightfully have #1
    There is no universal P4P no.1. You'll have to get over that fact that a few people think Mayweather isn't P4P number 1. It's not like 2003 where RJJ was universally ranked number 1 P4P. It's Mayweather's own fault for that.

As for the main topic, seriously? You've twisted rankings here. Why is the Froch win so downplayed? He was no.2 at 168 without a doubt, hence the true lineal title belonging to Ward. Martinez is good, but Ward is elite.

Comment

I like Ward, he's one of my favorite fighters but he gets too much credit for beating the same type of opponents (Froch, Kessler, Abraham) at his regular weight class--not that I think he should move up just yet. The Dawson fight also gets put out of context and thus frequently overrated. I would love to see Ward fight one of the Dirrell brothers, Bute (if he beats Froch) and push for a Martinez fight at a catchweight (make the effort). Then he can move up and clean up 175.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        There is no universal P4P no.1. You'll have to get over that fact that a few people think Mayweather isn't P4P number 1. It's not like 2003 where RJJ was universally ranked number 1 P4P. It's Mayweather's own fault for that.

As for the main topic, seriously? You've twisted rankings here. Why is the Froch win so downplayed? He was no.2 at 168 without a doubt, hence the true lineal title belonging to Ward. Martinez is good, but Ward is elite.
        I'm twisting rankings? Froch was #3, Bute was number 2, all the rankings say so. But Ward wouldn't fight him.

Comment

Ward would have fought Bute.

Neither is a lock for the HOF, at all. Ward has beaten Kessler, Bika, Abraham, Froch, and Dawson. Martinez has beaten Pavlik, Williams, Dzinziruk, Macklin, Chavez, and should have gotten the W over Cintron.

Ward will have to win titles at 175 to be a lock, which I obviously think he will. He'll probably go up to 175 and dominate as well, I don't see anyone beating Ward the next 4-5 years until Ward may lose a step or two.

Martinez needs to clean out MW by beating Geale, Golovkin, Pirog, Quillin, etc. If he does that and unifies MW by cleaning it out, he'll be a lock for the HOF. Calling out smaller fighters like Cotto and Floyd though, that's not going to do it. Or Sergio could take a bigger risk and move up in weight to win a title at 168. Any of that would get him into the HOF for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttimes View Post
            I'm twisting rankings? Froch was #3, Bute was number 2, all the rankings say so. But Ward wouldn't fight him.
            bute ducked the entire super middleweight divison but not joining the super 6

and now we know why.

Comment

It's way too soon to say that ward is a lock for the HOF, anyone who believes this smoking crack

Comment

Jr was the worst Mexican champ in years and as such might as well not even count towards Martinez's resume. The weight discrepancy was about the only impressive thing, but the same can't be said for Jr's skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                  bute ducked the entire super middleweight divison but not joining the super 6

and now we know why.
                  Bute wasn't even invited.

Comment

I am confused...when did Americans hate on Martinez? Martinez have been given his respect because he EARNED IT...I think Ward and Martinez are currently #1 and #2 P4P

The people who was bashing Martinez was Chavez Jr Fans (who all have changed their Profiles now )

So don't put this Double Standard BS on "Americans" because it is not true AT ALL

Comment

Working...
                    X