Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO Vs SHOtime Who's Winning?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're a Showtime subscriber, consider canceling it. Fights are extremely rare. They invested heavily on Mayweather. GBP/Showtime are getting crumbs and most of the profit goes to the Greedy Team.

Result is Showtime not being able to pump out subscription-based fights. They have no money.

Comment

True Detectives was great.

In terms of boxing Showtime has been winning for a while now, they have been growing while HBO has been shrinking from the stage really. Back in the day when HBO was paying a ton and people were complaining about that, you could at least see some sort of plan from HBO now those plans didn't work out very well for them so you could question their investments but at least they were investing in the sport. Now HBO boxing looks like a rudderless ship.

It really comes down to either you are growing or you are dying, Showtime is growing in terms of boxing while HBO clearly is not growing.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
        The fans are losing that's all that matters.
        Exactly right!!!!

The fans are suffering big-time, because of the Promotional feuds and now the Network Feuds .......

Comment

i dont understand why these threads are made. just shows the decline in the sport. fans are more concerned with the scoreboard for the networks than fighters and fights. sad really

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
            If you're a Showtime subscriber, consider canceling it. Fights are extremely rare. They invested heavily on Mayweather. GBP/Showtime are getting crumbs and most of the profit goes to the Greedy Team.

Result is Showtime not being able to pump out subscription-based fights. They have no money.
            SHowtime is backed by CBS, they have plenty of resources and are in no way going broke.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              True Detectives was great.

In terms of boxing Showtime has been winning for a while now, they have been growing while HBO has been shrinking from the stage really. Back in the day when HBO was paying a ton and people were complaining about that, you could at least see some sort of plan from HBO now those plans didn't work out very well for them so you could question their investments but at least they were investing in the sport. Now HBO boxing looks like a rudderless ship.

It really comes down to either you are growing or you are dying, Showtime is growing in terms of boxing while HBO clearly is not growing.
              Yea, they're starting to put shows that average over a million viewers now.

Hopkins, Canelo and Broner are all guys who can average that for them, Canelo even trying to move to PPV.

Danny is almost there, almost averaged a million and peaked a little over it.

Quality of fights they're putting up now are meh....
              The Hopkins card coming up is actually better than his last fight card in October.
              Main is better, Quillin fight is worse, world championship fight as the third slot

Comment

I agree the fans are losing.
                Shotime a few years back looked horrible quality wise everything wise and since mayweather went to the network is like a whole new channel quality better and now hbo looks how shotime looked a few years back..

Is hard to say which beef is hurting us more.. Promotional or the networks?

Comment

Originally posted by JDD1 View Post
                  SHowtime is backed by CBS, they have plenty of resources and are in no way going broke.
                  Cable networks are not in the business of attracting PPV buyers. They are in the business
                  of attracting subscribers. They're supposed to make truckloads of money out of their Mayweather investment. So far, they haven't been pumping out non-PPV fights faster than subscribers expected.

I've been asking for a complete list of non PPV fight events that Showtime has produced since the Canelo/Mayweather. They're very few. HBO still beat them.

So this Showtime winning is complete BS. It's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post

HBO is blacked out from March 29th to May 17th.

I'm not counting the PPV, because you don't need a sub to watch it

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                      Yea, they're starting to put shows that average over a million viewers now.

Hopkins, Canelo and Broner are all guys who can average that for them, Canelo even trying to move to PPV.

Danny is almost there, almost averaged a million and peaked a little over it.

Quality of fights they're putting up now are meh....
                      The Hopkins card coming up is actually better than his last fight card in October.
                      Main is better, Quillin fight is worse, world championship fight as the third slot
                      That was a surprisingly enjoyable card, maybe it was because I had zero expectations. I am keeping my expectations in check for this card also (which I tend to find helps me enjoy cards).

I certainly don't like the way things are going because competition has been good, HBO coming up lame is not helping that short run. That said it can lead to more positive outcomes, say ESPN decides to get heavily involved in boxing I find that a stretch but it is possible as they need quality live sports and boxing can fill holes in a schedule very easily. It also may be better because HBO has always had this attitude that they are best and they don't need to play ball with anyone else (which is hilarious when I consider that Time Warner/HBO is working with CBS/Showtime for March Madness that they couldn't work on boxing more closely together) other networks like ESPN, Fox, NBC would probably be much more willing to come together and make the sport work a bit better (possibly)

Comment

Working...
                      X