No announcement yet.

SkySports Prizefighter Tournament This Friday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkySports Prizefighter Tournament This Friday

man i love this tournaments principle! these guys are golden glove level but
    still this is interesting.
    I'm going to pleajurize instead of taking forever typing.
    Hey this is neet! read on: article by Graham Houston
    "
    PRIZEFIGHTER: The light-middleweights

http://www.fightwriter.com/files/Sin...0matchroom.jpg SINCLAIR: In hard-hitting form.

No

Yes

YORK HALL, LONDON, Feb. 26

http://www.fightwriter.com/files/Sin...0matchroom.jpg

SINCLAIR: In hard-hitting form.

The latest in promoter Barry Hearn’s popular Prizefighter series features the light-middleweights, with Sky Sports as usual televising the fun from London’s York Hall on Friday.
    Most of you will know that these tournaments feature eight boxers in a one-night event, all contests of three-rounds duration, with the ultimate winner having to box three times to get the Prizefighter trophy and £32,000 in purse money. (Two substitutes are on standby in case a boxer wins but suffers an injury and is unable to continue in the tournament.)
    Picking winers in Prizefighter is tricky. A boxer can beat a more skilled opponent simply by going all out from the first bell and throwing the greater number of punches. If a fighter gets into trouble early (such as Danny Williams suffering two knockdowns against Carl Baker in the heavyweight tournament) he doesn’t have many rounds to fight his way back.
    One gets tired of writing, when previewing these events, that anything can happen — but it’s true. Upsets occur frequently in Prizefighter, which is part of the series’ appeal.
    When I previewed the four first-round bouts in the last Prizefighter, the light-welters, I got only one right, although one of my selections lost by split decision and another went out with a cut over the eye. Undaunted, here I go again with a look at the quarterfinals on Friday’s show.
    BRADLEY PRYCE vs NEIL SINCLAIR
    Pryce -140; Sinclair +120
    These two met seven years ago, when Sinclair stopped Pryce in the eighth round. Although he went through a career slump, things are on the upswing again for Sinclair and he is in hard-hitting form.
    A Commonwealth Games gold medallist in the amateurs, Sinclair won the British welter title in November 2001 but seemed to lose his motivation and suffered a couple of surprising stoppage defeats — I well remember him folding up from what didn’t look a very hard left hook to the body from Jerome Ellis in an ESPN fight that had been made in the hope of reigniting Sinclair’s career. Sinclair has stopped his last two opponents and seems serious about his career again, though, and he is trained by the respected John Breen in Belfast. However, he is 36 and has said he will retire if he loses in Prizefighter — and I never like it when a boxer uses the R word.
    Pryce, 28, crumpled in two rounds against the sturdy Matthew Hall 11 months ago but says he was losing weight the wrong way and felt weak on the night of the fight. He has since enlisted the help of a dietitian and says he feels in great shape after training under the direction of Enzo Calzaghe in Wales. In his last fight, Pryce apparently looked quick and crisp in easily outpointing the journeyman Michael Monaghan.
    The British oddsmakers have made Pryce favourite to win the tournament. Certainly, if you throw out the Matthew Hall fight, Pryce looks the pick of the entrants. It was worrying, though, the way that Hall just ploughed through him and in Sinclair he meets a dangerous veteran who knows his career is at stake. I understand that Sinclair has been sparring with top Irish amateurs to get himself ready to box at a fast pace for the tournament. I'm leaning ever-so slightly towards Sinclair's heavier punches getting him a win over the tournament favourite, perhaps on a split decision.
    PRINCE ARRON vs GEORGE HILLYARD
    Arron -180; Hillyard +140
    The 6ft 3ins Arron could keep Hillyard on the end of his punches for all three rounds and clearly outpoint him, but I’m not so sure. Hillyard is erratic and has had discipline problems, fighting as heavy as 165 1/2 pounds in his last fight. At 154, though, Hillyard just might be in the best condition of his career. It all depends how he has lost the weight.
    Arron is the slicker boxer but Hillyard is a heavy puncher, especially with the left hook. Matthew Thirlwall was just too big for him in his last fight. Hillyard has ability, and if he has trained well, and if his mind is concentrated — both big ifs — he can pull off an upset or two on Friday. I am going with Hillyard to land often enough and strongly enough to spring a surprise against his much taller opponent .
    STEVE O’MEARA vs MARTIN CONCEPCION
    O’Meara -115; Concepcion +105
    Concepcion has the experience and he is the puncher in the fight, but O’Meara is a well-schooled boxer with fast hands (but not much power), and the 26-year-old from West London will be well supported at York Hall.
    Concepcion, from Leicester, in the English midlands, was involved in a war in his last fight when he narrowly — and perhaps luckily — outpointed the willing if limited Kevin Hammond. He took some heavy shots in that gruelling 10-rounder, and it was just three weeks ago. O’Meara has trained in the U.S. and even managed to get a sparring session with Floyd Mayweather Jrhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif. in Las Vegas. Concepcion is dangerous but I think that O’Meara is the fresher fighter and can box his way to a decision victory.
    DANNY BUTLER vs BRETT FLOURNOY
    Butler -165; Flournoy +125
    Flournoy won the ABA (English national) welterweight title in the amateurs, he is a southpaw and he’s unbeaten. He has, though, boxed only once in the past 21 months, a deeply unsatisfying second-round no decision. Flournoy tried his hand at running a pub but, at 30, has decided to put his boxing first.
    Butler, 22, stepped out of his class in his last fight when he came in as a late substitute and lost in seven rounds against British middleweight championhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif Darren Barker. In his two bouts before this, Butler lost narrowly to Darren McDermott but outscored dangerous veteran Paul Samuels.
    Flournoy is moving up from welter, Butler drops down from middleweight. This suggests that Butler will be stronger, Flournoy faster. Butler has fought the better calibre of opponent and he boxes quite well, with decent hand speed. Flournoy’s smart boxing from the southpaw posture could bother Butler, though, and there isn’t much time to work things out in a three-round fight.
    I think this fight could go either way but Butler has been more active and has a size advantage. With little confidence, I'll take Butler to win a tight decision.

Last Updated: February 23, 2010 11:50pmNote: Odds are for entertainment purposes only

Copyright 2006 Graham Houston. | an IMAGEXMEDIA site | Login

i kinda know bradley pryce so i will be rooting for him

Comment

lol, Martin Concepcion is a complete bum. dunno why he's still fighting.

Comment

starts 1pm pst and 9pm u.k.
        http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?ma...15&part=sports

Comment

Don't know any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flab View Post
            Don't know any of them.
            only konw Bradley.

Comment

Working...
            X