Any boxing books?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any boxing books?

Recommendations?

I love comprehensive material to add to the practicality of certain techniques, and even possible addition of drills and training tools. Really broken down stuff.

NOT looking for those damn fitness and conditioning books.

Gearing more toward Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting"-esque books that really touch on the psychology, body mechanics, and philosophy of it all.

Edwin Haislet's straight forward "Boxing" also comes to mind, but still looking.

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
    Recommendations?

I love comprehensive material to add to the practicality of certain techniques, and even possible addition of drills and training tools. Really broken down stuff.

NOT looking for those damn fitness and conditioning books.

Gearing more toward Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting"-esque books that really touch on the psychology, body mechanics, and philosophy of it all.

Edwin Haislet's straight forward "Boxing" also comes to mind, but still looking.
    Beyond the Ring - Fitsimmons

Best book on boxing that I've ever read, and I've read a bunch.

Once I started reading I could not put it down...........
    Last edited by Rockin'; 10-21-2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Beyond the Ring - Fitsimmons

Best book on boxing that I've ever read, and I've read a bunch.

Once I started reading I could not put it down...........
      Can't seem to find it, or is it by Jeff Sammons?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
        Can't seem to find it, or is it by Jeff Sammons?
        my bad, it was Jeffery T Sammons.

great read for a look at the inside dope that's inside the inside dope of our sport.

Comment

Damn Dempsey's book would have been my first suggestion.

Comment

Boxing mastery by Mark Hatmaker ebook. It seems to be aimed more at beginners than intermediate or advanced fighters, but it does break everything down quite nicely and has a couple of simple but interesting principles. Nice to go through and use to help perfect technique though.

Comment

george chuvalo book

Comment

I don't like Mark Hatmaker or Ned Beaumont books. They have some useful technique info but also throw in some awkward stuff that wouldn't work in a real fight. It's obvious they didn't spend a lot of time as real boxers.

Can't go wrong with Jack Dempsey's book.

Comment

Sun Tzu - The Art Of War

Comment

Some good suggestions on here, it motivated me to go off and order a copy of that Jack Dempsey book

If reading for pleasure, I'd also recommend F.X. Toole's Rope Burns as a collection of short stories (fictional) - that's where Millionaire Baby came from.

As a side-note, I was doing a little search of boxing books on Amazon and found a biography of Emile Griffith. I was like, oh that looks interesting, and then reading the description, it says "the story of a gifted, black, gay boxer" - Emile Griffith was gay!?? I did not know this, I must have had my head up my ass or something

Comment

Working...
                    X