No announcement yet.

The Day in History, Muhammad Ali saves suicidal man

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    and i'm starting to question even that. i don't have enough prime footage of robinson to back up what people tell me abot him.

i can see ali move around like a lightweight in the 60's.

the man's resume and ability were absolutely f#cking staggering. fighters are never going to go through a gauntlet liek that again. and they shouldn't.
    What would you say if Muhammad Ali himself said Robinson is greater than him?

But yeah gauntlet is a perfect way to describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Crazy overrated in what ways? There's absolutely no denying that he did more things than any other heavyweight in history has done.
      LOL I ain't even getting into this right after the guy died. Cmon man.

And I think there is all kinds of comparisons to make among any notables of different generations hence why I avoid those conversations like the plague as they are far too subjective due to so many intangibles involving the time the fighters were in, the rules of boxing at that time, the competition of the time, the sports/boxing knowledge of the time & all sorts of other random **** no one ever takes into account. For example I don't hate Dempsey's chances against many HW's of any era (in theory) under most of his time in the ring rules cuz he seemed to hit like a Mack truck & back in his days if he dropped a guy he could hover over them blasting them as soon as they are on their feet. So basically unless you are considering **** like that & well beyond **** like that ATG anything is some silly ass my dad will beat up your dad type childish ****.

TLDR: ATG is a silly ass convo, Ali was among the best of his era, thats all anyone can ever REALLY be, lets leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        and i'm starting to question even that. i don't have enough prime footage of robinson to back up what people tell me abot him.

i can see ali move around like a lightweight in the 60's.

the man's resume and ability were absolutely f#cking staggering. fighters are never going to go through a gauntlet liek that again. and they shouldn't.
        This 100%.

We don't really know how good SRR really was.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
          What would you say if Muhammad Ali himself said Robinson is greater than him?

But yeah gauntlet is a perfect way to describe it.

i'd ask him where he's hiding all of the footage he's seen of robinson in his prime . there is very little film of robinson at welterweight. at the least, if it exists, people are sitting on it, or it's in a sock drawer somewhere.

we have high quality film, even HD quality film, of ali throughout his career. heck, we even have him as an olympian.

much of the film that was used to capture robinson early in his career, i'm led to believe, was made of a material that doesn't stand up as well over time. greb's footage was similarly hard to find for the same reason. i've scoured the internet for lots of robinson WW footage, and you really only get bits of rounds here and there. havent' checked in a while, but there was never a whole lot of prime footage to choose from when i did. anybody who has found more can post it here if they'd like. it would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X