Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocky marathon on AMC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only good one is the first Rocky. That is a great movie and was nominated for an academy award.

Comment

Although I like a lot things in the Rocky movies, I've always taken exception to Sylvester Stallone's portrayal of boxing in the movies. The sweet science is never on display and the fight scenes are just so grossly exaggerated and unrealistic. Why did he feel the need to portray boxing as a 'tuffman contest' between two unskilled combatants who success solely relies on a fighters' toughness, heart and conditioning?

Comment

rocky [I] is a classic.

the rest are entertaining, btu the first movie is a classic.

rocky is an iconic american character.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          Although I like a lot things in the Rocky movies, I've always taken exception to Sylvester Stallone's portrayal of boxing in the movies. The sweet science is never on display and the fight scenes are just so grossly exaggerated and unrealistic. Why did he feel the need to portray boxing as a 'tuffman contest' between two unskilled combatants who success solely relies on a fighters' toughness, heart and conditioning?
          Rocky doesn't know how to hit a speed bag in the 2nd movie. A guy who just challenged for the world heavyweight championship didn't know how to hit a speed bag.

The only time Rocky ever had anything resembling actual boxing was the first round of the Rocky/Clubber rematch, when Rocky goes all super slick.

That's a problem with boxing movies in general, though. I get that they need the fights to be entertaining, but they could accomplish that while looking like actual fights .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Rocky 3 seriously makes no sense with the rest of the series. He goes from a slow, limited brawler to a slick, quick, master boxer in one training camp, and then apparently forgets everything Apollo taught him the moment he beats Lang.

R.I.P. Clubber Lang. He was the best of them.
            I wasn't aware that the actor or the character was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Rocky doesn't know how to hit a speed bag in the 2nd movie. A guy who just challenged for the world heavyweight championship didn't know how to hit a speed bag.

The only time Rocky ever had anything resembling actual boxing was the first round of the Rocky/Clubber rematch, when Rocky goes all super slick.

That's a problem with boxing movies in general, though. I get that they need the fights to be entertaining, but they could accomplish that while looking like actual fights .
              Yes, nearly all boxing movies do not get the fight scenes right. The only boxing movie that choreographed the fight scenes correctly was Ali . It looked real and was entertaining at the same time.

The Rocky movies do not depict any semblance of a real boxing match.

Comment

Rocky 4 was awesome. The old school vs. new school training montage, and Apollo dying in the ring was crazy.

Rocky 3 had the Mickey death moment which was a straight up tear jerker, and personally think it was the best of the Rocky's from a nostalgia perspective.

Comment

I've always liked Rocky 5. That street fight with him and Tommy was great!

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    Carl Weathers did boxing a good service I think. He made Apollo look like a skilled, athletic champion for sure, totally influenced by Ali of cource. Rocky 3 is when it all went too Hollywood and the ones after that is like a comic book.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post

Rocky 3 had the Mickey death moment which was a straight up tear jerker, and personally think it was the best of the Rocky's from a nostalgia perspective.
                      I've never witnessed a movie scene that made me cry like a baby and laugh my ass off at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X