Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USADA study addresses view on PEDs

USADA study addresses view on PEDs

Associated Press
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- New research conducted for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency finds that Americans rank the use of performance-enhancing drugs as the most serious problem facing sports today.

The USADA commissioned a study that surveyed about 9,000 Americans -- including adults, children, athletes, coaches and teachers -- to measure the impact sports has on values and culture in the U.S.

The study released Tuesday found that 75 percent of adults surveyed agreed that athletes' use of performance-enhancing drugs is a violation of ethics in sports. They ranked the use of PEDs as the most serious problem in sports, followed by the focus on money and criminal behavior of well-known athletes.

Nearly 90 percent of adults surveyed agreed that well-known athletes have a responsibility to be a positive role models for young people.

"This research reinforces that Americans care about the integrity of sport and what it means in our society," USADA CEO Travis Tygart said.

The study was conducted by Discovery Education, on behalf of the USADA.

The report said more than 60 percent of adults claim some relationship to sport-related activity, and 25 percent of those are active participants, parents of kids who participate in sports, coaches or volunteers.

Sixty percent of adults said sports promote positive values, while four out of five said they can teach valuable life lessons.

The survey also did extensive questioning about ethics in sports.

It found nearly two-thirds of adults agree sports overemphasize the importance of winning, while 20 percent have admitted to cheating and 41 percent who admitted to it said they were motivated by their desire to be a winner.

The USADA report said the "willingness to prioritize winning, at the sacrifice of ethics and health, erodes our trust in sport and its inherent value. In the United States, there is no doubt that we face a doping problem. The question is, to what extent is this but one extreme symptom in our country of a greater epidemic -- an ethics issue?"

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/s...r_espn_6220145

That's all good but Manny doesn't have to do that. He's all natural, you have to believe him.

Comment

Manny apparently takes the same PEDs I use...the ever popular Animal Pak!!!

Comment

The PED experts are baaaaaaaack

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          That's all good but Manny doesn't have to do that. He's all natural, you have to believe him.
          And if you don't, regardless of WHO you are, you are a *****.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
            Manny apparently takes the same PEDs I use...the ever popular Animal Pak!!!

Animal Pak never worked for me

Plus swallowing those big ass pills go real annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              The PED experts are baaaaaaaack
              What is a PED expert?

Comment

Originally posted by VAW-JR View Post
                What is a PED expert?
                Someone who doesn't believe it takes 30 days to recover from the prick of a needle.

Comment

Originally posted by vaw-jr View Post
                  what is a ped expert?
                  Imdazed

Comment

Originally posted by VAW-JR View Post
                    What is a PED expert?
                    Originally posted by Mayabang View Post
                    Imdazed
                    I'm almost embarrassed for them.

Then I remember what my mom used to say...don't pity the dumb.

Comment

Working...
                    X