Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a robbery ruin the Super 6 tournament?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the format of this tourney with europe against the US I must say that controversial decisions is a very real possibility. Whether or not it RUINS the tournament is another matter. I'd say that it harms it in a big way if there's more than one blatant home-town decision.

Comment

It would ruin it somewhat. This tournament is to prove who's the best of the best.

Comment

Yes.

Robberies hurt the credibility of the sport, and in this tournament, where there is a Europe v. USA feeling, it could portray a sense of bias towards one group of fighters.

IMO, in this tournament and fights in general, judges should be from neutral countries and of the best possible. I doesn't gurantee that a robbery won't happen, but it does help.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Given the format of this tourney with europe against the US I must say that controversial decisions is a very real possibility. Whether or not it RUINS the tournament is another matter. I'd say that it harms it in a big way if there's more than one blatant home-town decision.
          Right.. Considering nations, fighters and locations involved. It's hard to imagine how cries of robbery won't be central to this tournament. Where is the Kessler/Ward fight going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
            Right.. Considering nations, fighters and locations involved. It's hard to imagine how cries of robbery won't be central to this tournament. Where is the Kessler/Ward fight going to be?
            It's almost certain to be in Oakland. I think Kessler needs a KO there TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
              Would a robbery ruin the Super 6 tournament? Normally when there is a robbery or bad decision, everyone freaks out, but ultimately, after each fighter's respective next fight.. Both fighters can comfortably move on. However, in a tournament, if a fighter is robbed or receives a bad decision, it would affect the next round of the tournament. Effectively tainting not just the two fighters involved in the bad decision but the credibility of the entire tournament. Potentially cheapening whatever turns out to be the final/championship bout. I think it would really suck if there are bad decisions and everyone has to move forward with this elaborate/time consuming tournament as though everything is legit if it's not. Imagine for example: Jermaine Taylor(or anyone for that matter) gets robbed.. It would then ruin the fight for whoever has to face AA next.. A couple bad decisions could result with boxing fans dismissing the tournament as a total cluster****. Has anyone else considered the effects of a bad decisions in this tournament? What does everyone think?
              robberies ruin boxing in general.

Comment

For what reason?

Not trying to start a flame war; just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows208 View Post
                  For what reason?

Not trying to start a flame war; just curious.
                  Perhaps I was exagerating, but I remember the last time euro-stars fought big name yanks and came on the losing end of highly debateable decisions. That was Sturm-DLH and Foreman-Schulz.

In fact I cannot remember any eurostar winning a fight in the US against a yank superstar. That probably says more about my dementia than anything else though.....

Comment

I hope all the Euros get robbed. I will laugh if they do.

Comment

3 fights all being fought in the very partial hometowns of 3 of the fighters.. This is definitely a recipe for disaster. However, I think Kessler has the ability to win convincingly enough without a stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                      X