No announcement yet.

Can GGG make 155lbs healthily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can GGG make 155lbs healthily?

I understand all the A side politics Canelo is using to his advantage & while I sorta hate that boxing is such a circus that those types of things go on I understand that is how boxing works so it is what it is. The question I have is can GGG even make 155lbs despite the previous claim about being willing to fight anyone from 154-168. I understand people wanna be all "in you face" when people in boxing or in life say things they can't back up, but outside of the much discussed claim do you legit think GGG can make 155lbs?

The facts:

GGG turned pro in 2006 at the age of 24.
    His lowest weight as a pro was 158.5 in 2011 @ 29yrs
    He is currently 34yrs
    From 2003-2005 (21yrs-23yrs) he fought as an amateur in the 165lb division
    The last time he likely fought at 155lbs was in 2002 (20yrs) when he fought amateur in the 156lb division

So its a reasonable assumption based on this info GGG hasn't been at or under 155 for 14yrs as a 20 year old.
    Yep
    40.00%
    Nope
    42.22%
    Maybe, but only Al Haymon knows for sure
    17.78%

The poll is expired.

of course he can, that 1 pound more than he actually needs. 154-160 dude is a beast, a freak of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I understand all the A side politics Canelo is using to his advantage & while I sorta hate that boxing is such a circus that those types of things go on I understand that is how boxing works so it is what it is. The question I have is can GGG even make 155lbs despite the previous claim about being willing to fight anyone from 154-168. I understand people wanna be all "in you face" when people in boxing or in life say things they can't back up, but outside of the much discussed claim do you legit think GGG can make 155lbs?

The facts:

He is currently 34yrs
      The last time he likely fought at 155lbs was in 2002 (20yrs) when he fought amateur in the 156lb division

So its a reasonable assumption based on this info GGG hasn't been at or under 155 for 14yrs as a 20 year old.
      If Pacquiao offered him a fight at 150, he'd make the weight. Trust me.

Comment

Dunno. They seemed adamant he could make 154, so I'd have to take them at their word.

Comment

Him and Canelo are virtually the same size. Weigh similar fight night, and 30-days out.

Canelo struggled to make 154, even missing weight and seems virtually empty during the weigh in - his entire body is so sunk in. In his 20s, his physical prime and his youth allow him to get away with it. When you're in your 30s, I don't think its quite as easy.

However, for the money on the table here, I think Golovkin should be willing to meet at 157

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

The facts:

He is currently 34yrs

also reasonable assumption that GGG is a complete ***** for saying hes "too small" to fight ward at 168 as a 35 year old when he was fighting at 165 over 12 years ago.

Comment

Some of his fans will have you believe he is smaller than Canelo. Canelo can make 155 healthily, he looks ripped, not drained, in fact he looks so good that some detractors put on their tin foil hat and are saying we've been lied to about him weighing in 155lbs on the scale versus Khan and that he is actually much heavier than that. So yea, the 'smaller' Gennady Golovkin can make 155lbs healthily, who was 164lbs 30 days before the Wade fight (Canelo 163lbs 30 days before Khan fight).

With that said, i'm not advocate of any particular catchweight. If they can meet half way at 157 or full 160, I don't care. If Canelo wants the fight at 155, I also don't care, GGG should make it because he's a small Middleweight according to himself and his fans, and he is smaller than Canelo according to some of his fans. I just want the fight to happen and get it over with.

Comment

He could probably make the weight but would be drained . if you look at his weigh ins he already looks a little drained, 155 would be worse. 158 would probably still be ok.

Comment

Doubt it. And for all the idiots calling for him to drain down these are the same guys that seemingly won't count a victory over a drained fighter.

Mayweather is small, and a 147lb'er, he's better off fighting him while drained than fighting 170 odd lb Canelo while drained.

Most catchweights were give and take, it was from an honest effort to make a fight between a smaller and bigger fighter. Alvarez just wants an advantage plain and simple, he wants Golovkin dead at the weight if at all.
                  Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

For Mayweather? Yes.

For Canelo? No

For Lara? Hell no

Comment

Working...
                    X