Collapse
No announcement yet.

[rant about ufc vs boxing] pretty pointless thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I can tell the promoters like White run MMA and tell the fighters who they will fight and the fighters don't dare say no. So any fight the promoters want to make they make. In boxing the fighters are much better paid and can and often do turn fights down. You have the different networks like HBO and Showtime having many boxers under contract and not allowed to fight on any other network.

Comment

I am a long time boxing fan but I find myself watching more MMA fights as their fighters keep getting better and better. I like Conner a lot. He can really fight including good boxing skills and punching power.

Comment

i liked UFC back when it was during the black box days of no weight classes IDGAF time period.

UFC is too proper now.

too safe. too much like boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
          Agreed. Green K sent.

The level of talent and skill is so much greater in MMA than boxing. So that's why you'll see guys with a couple of loses. Plus the smaller gloves. Really MMA has most of the real hittas out there.

I mean did you guys see McGregor and Rockhold? Boxing unfortunately doesn't have that level of athlete.
          They are different sports with different skills required. Some MMA fights are very skillful but I don't agree they are more skillful than the best boxers. The best pro boxers are much better paid than any MMA fighter as per Mayweather making 200million for one fight. If you have the talent to be great at either sport you will almost always chose boxing because it pays so much better. I have seen many MMA fights were they just box for 3 5minute rounds with little or no kicking or wrestling.While the MMA fighters have some boxing skills their skills and punching power don't remotely compare with the boxing skills and punching power of a good pro boxer. The are just vastly inferior to a good pro boxer in boxing skills and punching power. They might beat a good boxer in a mixed match but only by getting the boxer on the ground. The biggest fight in MMA history was won by Conner using a powerful boxing blow.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            As far as I can tell the promoters like White run MMA and tell the fighters who they will fight and the fighters don't dare say no.
            A lot of people act like this is a bad thing, but they ***** all day about the choices guys make so its ironic in that regard. And when you think about it what professional competitive sport do the athletes decide who they are gonna compete against any damn way?

The Patriots aren't making their own schedule every year. MLB teams don't make their own schedule. NBA teams either. Tennis & golf seem to have a tournament type format so the better you are the deeper you go in events & the better the caliber of opponents you end up playing against. In boxing the best guy in the world can fight anyone they want. Thats kinda f#cking stupid.

I love boxing, I respect boxers more than any athletes in the sports world, but I think boxers have far too much freedom & I think its hurting the greater good of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
              Agreed. Green K sent.

The level of talent and skill is so much greater in MMA than boxing. So that's why you'll see guys with a couple of loses. Plus the smaller gloves. Really MMA has most of the real hittas out there.

I mean did you guys see McGregor and Rockhold? Boxing unfortunately doesn't have that level of athlete.
              All due respect, head over to Sherdog forums and say the same thing. MMA is such a young sport, the skill level isn't anywhere near boxings, you need more skills in MMA but they are less refined because of the age of the sport really.

There was actually a thread on Sherdog about boxing just having a hundred years of refinement and that the skills on show are much better. I love MMA, I love the UFC, it is run 100000x better than boxing but it is so, so young. We are watching the literal development of a sport as the years go by. There will be a point in many, many years where people will look back at what is happening with some of the UFC fighters now the way some of use look at the way Langford, Jack Johnson etc. fight and see that evolution. I mean you only have to go back to see Gracie and look at how todays fighters would wreck him even though he is a UFC legend.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                As far as I can tell the promoters like White run MMA and tell the fighters who they will fight and the fighters don't dare say no. So any fight the promoters want to make they make. In boxing the fighters are much better paid and can and often do turn fights down. You have the different networks like HBO and Showtime having many boxers under contract and not allowed to fight on any other network.
                Depends on how big the stars are, Mcgregor certainly can pick his fights, Dana said as much. Mcgregor can either go to 155 and immediately fight Cerrone or stay at 145 and fight Frankie. Also Dana White often doesn't decide he has a 'UFC matchmaker'

To compare the purses to boxing is different the sport is so young and they stack their cards. To equate it to boxing you had the biggest fight that could be made in the sports atm Mcgregor vs Aldo (for lack of a comparison say that would be Mayweather Pacquiao.) You had the middleweight champion fighting the next best guy on the undercard that would be Golovkin vs. Canelo. Under that was the number 2 & 3 ranked middleweights so in boxing that would be Saunder/Lee winner vs. Jacobs. Under that is the 6th vs 10th ranked fighters (depends on where you look) at Welterweight that would probably be Porter vs. Errol Spence. Then you had a bunch of preliminary fights one of which had Urijah Faber a top class Bantamweight in a stay busy fight against the 14th ranked fighter.

That is ONE card, one night of boxing. If that happened in boxing consistently then fighters purses would be less because of having to spread the money around but that card alone would be the best boxing card of the last 5-10 years easily. That is why the UFC is having so much success.

Comment

if only more fighters werent afraid of losing that 0..
                  everybody would benefit in the long run.

Comment

And once an MMA fighter comes along who understand his market value, he will come out and say how much he wishes that MMA was more of a free market like boxing.

Which is what McGregor might be about to do. As much as I hate it at times, I believe there is a reason why the fight game has to operate the way it does. The UFC is young and has so far been able to keep control of these guys, but they haven't had a transformative figure who will challenge their status quo. That will be interesting to watch unfold
                    Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Keane View Post
                      UFC has only just banned TRT... didn't Peterson get banned? didn't Dillian Whyte? UFC has had to clamp down because the amount of PED's users getting caught was making a mockery of the sport. Stop twisting reality to suit your agenda.

UFC records have much more to do with being able to lose in different ways than quality opposition. In boxing if your aren't the better boxer 9/10 times you will lose, in UFC you could be a kick boxer and fight a wrestler/judo player a couple of times on the bounce and take a few L's. Then beat a few inferior striker based fighters and win.
                      Yes, I know UFC just banned it, that is why I said it, but so what if they just banned it? At least they DID it. At least they catch and punish cheats.

No Peterson did not get banned. What he got was signed by GB for cheating, while Floyd still had has hands in GB too.

No offense, but you don't really know what you are talking about. Seriously. UFC has an extremely stringent drugs testing program, one of the best on the world. With one of the best experts at the helm.

Boxing on the other hand has always encouraged rampant drugs cheating by not properly testing and by almost never punishing cheats, like you proved yourself,*Lamont Peterson. Peterson was rewarded not punished.

Comment

Working...
                      X