No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's Top 3 trainers...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    But the fact is he did train him and you can see the style infused in Tyson was the same as with Patterson and Torres.
    His comment of "Cus did not train him" is false, as Tyson himself has stated that Cus was his manager and trainer. It's common knowledge that he was trained by Cus. Atlas and Rooney did the physical work.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      His comment of "Cus did not train him" is false, as Tyson himself has stated that Cus was his manager and trainer. It's common knowledge that he was trained by Cus. Atlas and Rooney did the physical work.
      Exactly. With all due respect to Atlas and Rooney, holding the pads is not comparable to crafting the style. That isn't saying they deserve no credit, only that it was Cus who laid the foundation that everything Tyson did was based on.

I personally think Rooney did an excellent job of maintaining D'Amato's ideology, until being undermined by Don King.

Comment

I think what he's saying is Atlas would have been the best influence, but Cus was too consumed with the idea of having one last great HW that a strict trainer like Teddy who believed in disciplining a fighter was a threat to a guy as fragile as Mike. Cus would rather let Mike get away with a lot of things he shouldn't and fire Teddy than risk losing the guy he believed was his last, and greatest fighter.

I agree with this. Teddy was an excellent trainer for Mike.
        That's right. D'Amato & Atlas had a core disagreeance, which ultimately led to Atlas being pushed out of the scene --- D'Amato wanted special treatment for a special fighter, driven by his will to foster one last Champion at any cost (in addition to sentimentality toward Tyson personally), while Atlas believed in the sanctity of instilling discipline & value in all fighters, & not granting special priviledges to the gifted.

Personally, I think Atlas had the right idea in this case.
        Last edited by Wild Blue Yonda; 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

This is not true, Cus was mentor, manager and trainer all in one. He trained him physically and psychologically, and many other ways. Cus trained every aspect of Tyson as if he were a dog.
          OK, let me make the point more clear. Cus was Mike's mentor which is to me of a higher caliber than trainer. Yes, he did train him as he did others. But have you've ever seen him in Mike's corner in any of his pro fights? I don't even recall seeing him in the corner when he was an amateur! I'm really talking about Mike's TRAINERS post-Cus. In my mind you cannot call Cus simply a trainer...

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            OK, let me make the point more clear. Cus was Mike's mentor which is to me of a higher caliber than trainer. Yes, he did train him as he did others. But have you've ever seen him in Mike's corner in any of his pro fights? I don't even recall seeing him in the corner when he was an amateur! I'm really talking about Mike's TRAINERS post-Cus. In my mind you cannot call Cus simply a trainer...
            We don't see Panama Lewis in the corners either anymore, yet he trains and devises strategies for many fighters. Everything Tyson did in the ring during his best years was a direct result of what he was trained to do by D'Amato, which is evident from his style when compared with Patterson and Torres, from their hooks to the way they hold their gloves, etc., etc. This was ingrained in him from Cus's teachings, his training style.

Comment

not sure what you mean by "best" trainer so ill do it this way:

trainer that helped tyson achieve the most skill:
              D'amato
              Rooney
              Atlas

Best overall trainers that trained Tyson
              D'amato
              Roach
              Rooney

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                That's right. D'Amato & Atlas had a core disagreeance, which ultimately led to Atlas being pushed out of the scene --- D'Amato wanted special treatment for a special fighter, driven by his will to foster one last Champion at any cost (in addition to sentimentality toward Tyson personally), while Atlas believed in the sanctity of instilling discipline & value in all fighters, & not granting special priviledges to the gifted.

Personally, I think Atlas had the right idea in this case.
                Cus was worried that if they clamped down too hard on Tyson that Tyson might run away. It was a case of try to instill discipline and run the risk of losing the fighter or turn a blind eye and have a fighter

My picks:
                Rooney
                Roach

Cant really comment on Atlas as he was never with Tyson during his pro years. I don't think Giachetti is a good pick either as Tyson rarely listen to him

Comment

Tommy Brooks did a good job, he could have been a better trainer for Tyson against Lewis.

Ronnie Shields was saying to Tyson in between Rounds 7 and 8, "You have to throw your punches, For God's sake's, you have two hands, just let your hands go."

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
                    Tommy Brooks did a good job, he could have been a better trainer for Tyson against Lewis.

Ronnie Shields was saying to Tyson in between Rounds 7 and 8, "You have to throw your punches, For God's sake's, you have two hands, just let your hands go."
                    He just wasnt there mentally

It looked like he kind of returned to basics with Roach, he was moving his head again and throwing combinations. Its a shame they hooked up so late in his career

Comment

Mike was shot when he worked with Roach, I am not sure how Roach is relevant in this topic when Mike was so far past it. Even so, I don't think that Roach was a better trainer than Rooney for Mike.

Comment

Working...
                      X