Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Tough Love: Jermain Taylor and DiBella

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Tough Love: Jermain Taylor and DiBella

by David P. Greisman - Promoters can be parents, nurturing their fighters from the early years, recognizing their potential, providing them with opportunities, celebrating with them when they succeed and mourning with them when they fail.

Promoters can be pimps, sizing up fighters and signing them for what they can do – and what the fighters can do for them. They ply the fighters with play and pay, giving them attention so long as the investment is beneficial to both.

Some fighters remain worthwhile, their name value carrying forth long after their talent has faded. Others wind up treated like a flavor-of-the-month girlfriend. If they cannot sell tickets, or if they lose their titles, promoters lose interest. They become ignored, inactive.

Most promoters are a mix of both.

That is why the latest chapter in the story of Jermain Taylor and Lou DiBella is so different than the norm. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by David P. Greisman - Promoters can be parents, nurturing their fighters from the early years, recognizing their potential, providing them with opportunities, celebrating with them when they succeed and mourning with them when they fail.

Promoters can be pimps, sizing up fighters and signing them for what they can do – and what the fighters can do for them. They ply the fighters with play and pay, giving them attention so long as the investment is beneficial to both.

Some fighters remain worthwhile, their name value carrying forth long after their talent has faded. Others wind up treated like a flavor-of-the-month girlfriend. If they cannot sell tickets, or if they lose their titles, promoters lose interest. They become ignored, inactive.

Most promoters are a mix of both.

That is why the latest chapter in the story of Jermain Taylor and Lou DiBella is so different than the norm. [Click Here To Read More]
    I would think, that the writer's comments [or description of] about the paternalistic, almost loving, attitude of Gary Shaw towards his "erring stepchild" Jermain Taylor, are more than a trifle fulsome. And this is a surprise to me because although David is often on the edge of pontificating, he is just as often humourous, and always interesting to read, and accurate.

Jermain Taylor has had very bad luck, more than once to have battled through 12 rounds, all but a paltry few seconds, only to be KO'd. One could make a correlation between the exhaustion expected after 12 hard pugilistic rounds, and a greater susceptibility towards induced unconsciousness.

Taylor is still young, probably still as good a fighter as he has ever been, and if he has been medically evaluated by experts -as I expect he has been- should be allowed to stay in the hurt business.

What irritates ME about this section of the article is, that Gary Shaw did NOT behave in the same humanistic, benificent, paternal manner towards another of his fighters, who was also being KO'd and who also had made millions of dollars for him-Shaw.

I would be very interested to know what kind gestures Shaw has made to the widow and family of Diego Corrales??

It might be similiar to his approach towards theTaylors, and I would be delighted to hear that it was so.................

Comment

I hope Taylor continues to fight. He has just had some really bad luck in the past little while. The reason he is getting knocked out so much is because he is becoming so fatigued in his fights. When you become as tired as Taylor gets around the 10-12 rounds, you also become twice as easy to knock out.

Comment

Taylor has been hurt bad a few times. You cant have that happen too many times before long term damage sets in. I have enjoyed watching him fight the best, but I dont want to see him punch drunk.

Comment

It's a very responsible and respectable move by DiBella..... but did he have to tell the whole word he thinks Jermain is done?

Comment

There is no way I am trying to see Taylor lying on the canvas once more. He gave me great memories and I understand he wants to redeem himself, but your life should be more important than taking another precarious risk of losing it. The sad thing about it all, is he is not getting knockdown, but instead knockout unconsciously. That is another conversation when you are getting knockout cold 3 times in two years. I love his heart and determination, however; you have to know when its time to move on.

Comment

Edgar,

Taylor's promoter is Lou DiBella, not Gary Shaw.

Comment

Commendable of Di Bella, but surely he could have waited until Jermain had decided to retire before releasing this, or better still just kept it private between the two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  It's a very responsible and respectable move by DiBella..... but did he have to tell the whole word he thinks Jermain is done?
                  many times the fighter is the last person that wants to accept the fact that he doesnt have it anymore.maybe the shock to the system of this type will make jt see that. i would hate for jt to end up like holy or meldrick.

he has been the victim of 3 brutal ko. and those just dont go away with time. in football players are warned about the hazzards of continuing to play after they have sustained cuncussions because of the possible consequences of another blow to the head. in boxing a blow to the head is not a possibility, it is a given fact.

hopefully jt decides to hang them up. yes he still has the skills to still win some fights, but the long term risk is not worth it with his history.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
                    Commendable of Di Bella, but surely he could have waited until Jermain had decided to retire before releasing this, or better still just kept it private between the two of them.

you dont know lou dibella do you

dibella seems liek a nice guy for a promoter but he tells all to the press, he was the one who said taylor had short term memory loss after the abraham fight. thats another thing i dont think is necessary for ppl to know, but dibella holds nothing back.

that was acctually a thing ppl wouldnt find out about anyways, ppl are gonna realize dibella isnt promoting him anymore next time he fights so why even try to hide it?

Comment

Working...
                    X