Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Russell was a **** NBA PLAYER. Sick & Tired of Old Athlete GLORIFICATION

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The greats of any era should be respected, however, I do agree with you. I think all sports with the exception of MMA, have reached their peak in ability and we aren't really going to be seeing THAT much of a leap in playing ability in the future. If there is an increase, it will be minuscule. I do however think boxers in the early-mid part of the 20th century were possibly physically tougher, but their technical ability/athleticism was almost non-existent. I can only laugh when people actually ask 'Jack Johnson vs Tyson - who wins?'. It is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
      The greats of any era should be respected, however, I do agree with you. I think all sports with the exception of MMA, have reached their peak in ability and we aren't really going to be seeing THAT much of a leap in playing ability in the future. If there is an increase, it will be minuscule. I do however think boxers in the early-mid part of the 20th century were possibly physically tougher, but their technical ability/athleticism was almost non-existent. I can only laugh when people actually ask 'Jack Johnson vs Tyson - who wins?'. It is ludicrous.
      absolutely agree.

whenever i hear someone counter with the "well 100 years from now people will **** on today's nba" not true. the sport is not gonna evolve that drastically the way it evolved from the 60s to its current state.

although boxing is somewhat very guilty of this. old school apologists like poet like to think boxing never changed from its golden age which is not true. it was never pure to begin with and it has had drastic rule changes like the ref not being the judge anymore and the most drastic change, the 24 hr rehydration rule.

it used to be on fight night, welters would fight welters, feathers would fight feathers.

now you have light weights fighting welterweights or junior middle weights come fight night because of the 24 rehydration system.
      Last edited by The Tase; 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Old timers are glorified evaluate thy we're big fish in little ponds... Well it's an ocean now. Like in football.... Don't tell me a line man from the 70's is gonna block a d-lineman today.... Ridiculous size difference and ability

Comment

Originally posted by US Dirk Killer View Post
          Old timers are glorified evaluate thy we're big fish in little ponds... Well it's an ocean now. Like in football.... Don't tell me a line man from the 70's is gonna block a d-lineman today.... Ridiculous size difference and ability
          standard nfl sizes today pretty much prove that athletes today are bigger, stronger, and faster.

have you seen the nfl safeties of today? they look like linebackers of the 70s. the the linebackers of today? they look like defensive linemen back then.

Comment

Honestly, I do not have Bill in my top 5, although he was a tremendous athlete and baller. Don't get it twisted, his athleticism get's highly underrated, but, I do not believe he would've been able to guard Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. Yes, he's accomplished more in the sport than them, but, is he better than them? I mean really, you could be a 3 year old and see that Bill wouldn't know how to handle a 7 foot 1, 365 pound Shaq O'Neal. I mean seriously.

Comment

go Blazers..........

Comment

Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
                Honestly, I do not have Bill in my top 5, although he was a tremendous athlete and baller. Don't get it twisted, his athleticism get's highly underrated, but, I do not believe he would've been able to guard Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. Yes, he's accomplished more in the sport than them, but, is he better than them? I mean really, you could be a 3 year old and see that Bill wouldn't know how to handle a 7 foot 1, 365 pound Shaq O'Neal. I mean seriously.
                dude was barely 6'9 and 220lbs.

HE SHOT 44% FOR HIS ENTIRE CAREER DESPITE BEING A STRICTLY DUNK/LAYUP PLAYER IN THE ****ING EARLY 60s!!!!!

i cannot stress that enough.

Look up all the big men who couldnt shoot and were strictly dunk layup offensive players. they all are at around 50% or higher.

to shoot 44% for your entire career in the early 60s is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  go Blazers..........

Comment

If Prince Fielder can play in he major leagues, so could Ruth. He wasn't fat when he was young either, people don't realize that he was already a 10 year veteran by the years he's most depicted in. Having eyesight, timing, and mechanics transcends eras. Baseball does not rely on pure athleticism as much as other sports.

Also, Wilt and Kareem would absolutely still be top players today. Dunno about Russell, hard to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
                      If Prince Fielder can play in he major leagues, so could Ruth. He wasn't fat when he was young either, people don't realize that he was already a 10 year veteran by the years he's most depicted in. Having eyesight, timing, and mechanics transcends eras. Baseball does not rely on pure athleticism as much as other sports.

Also, Wilt and Kareem would absolutely still be top players today. Dunno about Russell, hard to judge.
                      smdh here we go again with the ruth bull**** smdh. yes timing, eye sight and mechanics transcend........

if you were playing against everybody, against the very best competition.

RUTH ONLY PLAYED AGAINST WHITE PLAYERS. HE NEVER PLAYED AGAINST BLACK, LATINO, OR ASIAN ATHLETES.

This is not that hard to figure out.

Comment

Working...
                      X