No announcement yet.

Did Don King kept Mike Tyson away from Henry Akinwande

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Don King kept Mike Tyson away from Henry Akinwande

In late 1995, Akinwande defeated Tony Tucker, earlier in the year, Tucker lost to Bruce Seldon for the vacant WBA belt, how come Seldon never defended his title against Akinwande, and waited for a year to face Tyson.

I had no doubt Akinwande beats Seldon for the WBA title and should probably face Tyson but instead Don King may have convince Riddick Bowe to gave up the WBO version so that the 6"6 nigerian heavyweight will be kept away from Tyson. As it is, Henry became the WBO champion, was he viewed as a threat to Mike Tyson's comeback.

Similarly Tyson's knockout punch on Botha were the same as Oliver McCall putting Akinwande down for a count in 2001. both had an interesting common opponent in Peter McNeeley, whom Akinwande kayoed flat on his back.

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    In late 1995, Akinwande defeated Tony Tucker, earlier in the year, Tucker lost to Bruce Seldon for the vacant WBA belt, how come Seldon never defended his title against Akinwande, and waited for a year to face Tyson.

I had no doubt Akinwande beats Seldon for the WBA title and should probably face Tyson but instead Don King may have convince Riddick Bowe to gave up the WBO version so that the 6"6 nigerian heavyweight will be kept away from Tyson. As it is, Henry became the WBO champion, was he viewed as a threat to Mike Tyson's comeback.

Similarly Tyson's knockout punch on Botha were the same as Oliver McCall putting Akinwande down for a count in 2001. both had an interesting common opponent in Peter McNeeley, whom Akinwande kayoed flat on his back.
    No, Henry didn't have any belts (only the EU title) and the plan was always to relieve Frank Bruno of the wbc strap, then onto Seldon for the wba

Akinwande beat the junkie version of Tucker and was rewarded with a shot at the vacant wbo title, verses the lantern chinned Jeremy Williams, and was never considered a threat to Tyson.. Least of all, his comeback

Comment

Henry was a more than good-ish heavyweight and it frustrates me that he does not get mentioned more often.....Herbie Hide another Brit WBO belt holder always seem to get more air time primarily because Herbie was so eccentric and interesting to watch.

But with respect to the poster; I think the only reason Tyson-Akinwande did not happen was Henry's overall lack of profile and marketability. Somewhat oddly he ended-up fighting both Scott Welch and Lennox in America rather than the UK. Henry did not bring cash or a big following to the table and was often a bit of a road warrior.

Comment

Akinwande beat jeremy williams for the vacant WBO title to face lennox . In the 90s the WBO belt was a stepping stone belt not a world title. The Wbo wouldnt allow its champion to hold any other belt.

Comment

I think the plan was to have akiwande grow his name, but had he fought tyson in 95-97 we would have been DQ'd for holding just like vs lennox

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            I think the plan was to have akiwande grow his name, but had he fought tyson in 95-97 we would have been DQ'd for holding just like vs lennox
            Yes, I think he would have, and like Bodyshot3 has stated, he lacked any kind of marketability... He was also very long and awkward, so in defence of the thread starters assumption, he was very much regarded as the 'who the hell wants him' of boxing

Comment

I had high hopes on Akinwande then when he finally get to fight for the more prestigious WBC title against Lennox Lewis, he was undefeated but lack marketability, it was disappointing he allowed himself to be disqualified for excessive holding, his win over Jeremy Williams was so impressive and he fought in the undercard of Tyson-Holyfield.

Don King's master plan I remember was to have all three belts in Tyson's waist by end of 1996 with Seldon and Botha as part of it, Moorer and Lewis had to go to court to make sure they'l have their turn first.

Comment

I had high hopes on Akinwande then when he finally get to fight for the more prestigious WBC title against Lennox Lewis, he was undefeated but lack marketability, it was disappointing he allowed himself to be disqualified for excessive holding, his win over Jeremy Williams was so impressive and he fought in the undercard of Tyson-Holyfield.

Don King's master plan I remember was to have all three belts in Tyson's waist by end of 1996 with Seldon and Botha as part of it, Moorer and Lewis had to go to court to make sure they'l have their turn first.
                There was ZERO demand for a Tyson-Akinwande match. The Lewis travesty made him completely unmarketable in the US. What many have forgotten is that Henry was going to fight Holyfield for the title but tested positive for Hepatitis the day before causing the entire card to be cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  There was ZERO demand for a Tyson-Akinwande match. The Lewis travesty made him completely unmarketable in the US. What many have forgotten is that Henry was going to fight Holyfield for the title but tested positive for Hepatitis the day before causing the entire card to be cancelled.
                  you beat me to it. I also believe the 2nd time lennox vacated a belt it was because akinwande became his mandatory again somehow. back in the 90s before the WBO became a world title several fighters won the belt & vacated for a world title shot. corrie sanders after wlad, akinwande vacated to fight lewis. I believe mercer vacated to fight bowe but lost his tune up to jesse ferguson. michael moorer also vacated it...lennox vacated 2 belts in his career. to avoid a fight with ruiz & the second was a rematch with akinwande. neither was a duck it just didn't make monetary sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    He was still in the title picture until 2000, and there were outraged on the WBA by naming him mandatory for Lewis, whom Akinwande had already lost, and yes because of the postponed fight against Holyfield.

Comment

Working...
                    X