Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kimi Raikkonen Quits Formula One (Sad day)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Kimi Raikkonen Quits Formula One (Sad day)

Kimi Raikkonen will be missing from the grid in 2010 after failing to agree a deal to drive for McLaren, according to his management. Raikkonen, who has a keen interest in rallying, is expected to pursue other options next year as he looks to secure a winning drive for 2011.

The Finn, 2007 world champion with Ferrari, agreed to leave the Italian team at the end of this season despite having a year of his contract still to run, in order to make way for Fernando Alonso. He has always said he would only contemplate staying in the sport with a top team.

"The Formula One alternatives for next season were McLaren or nothing,” Raikkonen’s manager Steve Robertson was quoted as saying by Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat. “Kimi and McLaren could not reach an agreement, so he will not drive at F1 level - at least not next year."

Raikkonen previously spent five seasons with McLaren, from 2002 to 2006, winning nine Grands Prix and twice finishing runner-up in the drivers’ championship. He moved to Ferrari for 2007, taking the title that year, but was overshadowed by team mate Felipe Massa the following season.

This year Raikkonen has experienced mixed fortunes, with pundits repeatedly questioning his level of motivation. He won the Belgian Grand Prix, but was subsequently hampered by Ferrari’s decision to halt development of their 2009 car.

He also made his World Rally Championship debut at his home event in August, setting competitive times before crashing out. He could now return to that series next year, although Robertson hinted his driver’s Formula One career is far from over.

"Kimi still lives and breathes driving ambition,” he added. “In that sense a year off means nothing. More important is to find a place for Kimi where he can fight for victory and the world championship."

“It’s hard to believe that I have been in Formula One for nine years already,” was Raikkonen’s own take on the situation earlier this month. “I am very motivated to win races and a championship again and will only remain in Formula One if I can race for a team that can give me a car to fight at the front.”

Raikkonen’s apparent removal from the running for a 2010 McLaren seat has already boosted media speculation that the British team could sign reigning world champion Jenson Button to partner Lewis Hamilton next season.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../11/10226.html

He said he always wanted to try rally driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
      He said he always wanted to try rally driving.
      He was rally driving last year aswell as F1,
      so I'd say at least for 2010 season anyway he will be rally driving full time,
      Hopefully he comes back in 2011,
      he was always my favourite driver

Comment

A sad day indeed. F1 isn't the same without him.

Raikkonen was my favourite driver but now that he's gone, I wont be watching F1 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Addition View Post
          A sad day indeed. F1 isn't the same without him.

Raikkonen was my favourite driver but now that he's gone, I wont be watching F1 anymore.
          Hopefully at some point next year, Fernando Alonso's car bursts into flames!....With him sitting in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
            Hopefully at some point next year, Fernando Alonso's car bursts into flames!....With him sitting in it!
            I second that!
            Wouldn't mind it happening to Lewis aswell,
            The british commentators make it very difficult to appreciate a driver who is british imo,
            I will probably still watch tbh,
            I like Massa so i'll be rooting for him

Comment

I can't see Massa coming back and being the same driver he was before that accident.

Hamilton's gets his balls licked by the BBC but to be fair to him, his talent backs it up.

Alonso's a ****, but he's probably P4P the best driver in F1.

Vettel is the cream of the rest of the crop. What a driver he will be.

Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel will duke it out for the world championship next season IMO.

Jenson Button's had his 15 mins.

Comment

Pissed. Lewis and Kimi would have made a sick duo.

Comment

I don't think Lewis and Kimi would have done good together... I like Kimi, but I just don't see the same hungry guy I saw a few years ago, he's still fast but there is something missing. To you guys, Alonso might be a **** and whatnot, but if he and Ferrari come up with a good car next year, I see him fighting for the championship again... Then you got Vettel who's a speed demon, and I think it should make for some good racing... I want Kimi to come back, but I'm not all that sad about him leaving, it might just fuel him up to come back more determined in 2011

Comment

By the way, Jenson Button just confirmed he will be a McLaren driver in 2010... I think he's going to be Hamilton's ***** if he doesn't step up..

Comment

Working...
                    X