Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are u NOT a boxer (not amateur or pro) but HAVE sparred before?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to train @ same gym as Calvin Brock, guy who lost to Klitcho. On another note I hate when dudes think you cant street fight cuz u know to box.......like I won't stomp yo fckn ass out B

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
      I respectfully disagree, how can a fan or person know how hard a sport is if they've never actually tried it themselves? How can you critic a professional if you don't know anything about the sport?

I've practiced boxing and kickboxing for about 16 years, sparred many rounds an developed a true respect for those that try to earn a living at the sport.......something I could never do.
      I dont think ones own abilities should matter in a ring when assessing ones own opinion of any fighter ,ive seen many outlandish claims by pros and fans who never even hit a heavy bag ....at the nd of the day all you need is two eyes and time to study any fighter /match up. Many trainers have never fought before like Cus D'Amato ,i hardly doubt anyone is going to question his knowledge . The best opinions are from guys who have fought the same fighters because you get real comparisons . An opinion is an opinion whether you fought before or not ,if you have it SHOULD make you a better judgement but thats not always the case, and that goes for trainers as well. I could use my in ring and sparring sessions as well but i like to just know all i need is common sense! Ive actually talked to good trainers,some trained amatuer champions who didnt think M.Tyson was technical until i had to break it down to them ,all they saw was a brute and also claimed he had no jab ,which shows lables dont mean much if you cant use your eyes ,everyone has them ,most dont use them.Theres a certain individual on boxing scene that likes to use the " COACH" badge on here and throw his empty weight around to intimidate others or TRY and use it as leverage to belittle ppl ...but i wont mention any names like corso..ooops !

If you have have sparred at least pros that gives much more credibility obviously ......ive sparred Yuri Vaulin /Owen Beck and guys who have fought Wilder and even Klitchko in all out fist fights .I do have toughman contest tournament wins so im not sure where that puts me since its not exactly labled as a record ?

I think this thread is actually a good one maybe even get some posters to walk into a gym just for that .
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-29-2016, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Yes, it has been years since i have sparred because I had pain in my knee, so I stopped doing my round work. I have sparred men, women, big, small, old, young and even gays.

I've never tried to hurt anyone.

Comment

Yeah, i trained and fought as a junior in the ABA's in the UK. Also i started going to the boxing club at age 7 because a family member used to run it.

Ended up in a car accident at age 15 which stopped me from sparring and fighting for almost a year and basically by the time i'd fully recovered, i'd lost the desire i once had even though i was young. You know how it is, i was 15/16 and because i couldn't really box at the time i was more interested in girls, drinking etc.. I've been back to gyms sporadically at times since and sparred and i still feel pretty good and sharp and feel like i'm in control in there but i've never had the urge to want to do it for real again. I think i just prefer what i do now. I love boxing still, and i was good too but it was never a burning desire in me to want to get up and train and fight. I think it was just something i did because it was a family member who got me into it, and i was probably advanced at it for my age because i started so young but it was never a passion, i love watching more than doing it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
            Have u ever been in the gym and actually boxed someone before? We've had tons of guys over the years come through the gyms...they work out, they like boxing...they don't want to fight but they do like to get in there sometimes (with the right person, not trying to get killed) after having spent time learning some moves and punches.

Have you?
            IM 30 now but in my early 20s i trained 2 years at knuckle up fitness in sandy springs and midtown atl. Started out at LA boxing but they got bought out.

I sparred a lot. Never had a sanctioned amatuer fight. May get one in just for the experience though. I enjoy teaching others and learning training techniques and regimen.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
              Three amateur fights, 100's of rounds sparing. Most of it was sparing in the summer because I was in school. One summer trained by Tony Zale, he spent three weeks with me just working on my jab. That's why for me I say that people don't understand how good Ward is. Because one of the biggest aspects of the sweet science is what a good boxer causes to not happen. When he's right there and he can't be touched. That's hard to understand if you haven't been in the ring.
              everyone loves kos but it always amazes me when fighters can be right in some ones face and not get hit. I really appreciate guys like Ward. He is a perfectionist and knows how to deal with every situation.

guys like McCallum, Toney, Nunn, whitaker and Locche are the guys I watch and study.

anybody can throw punches, it takes skill to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                Have u ever been in the gym and actually boxed someone before? We've had tons of guys over the years come through the gyms...they work out, they like boxing...they don't want to fight but they do like to get in there sometimes (with the right person, not trying to get killed) after having spent time learning some moves and punches.

Have you?
                Yes sir that is me, I am what amateurs and pro boxers call a "cardio boxer". I box to stay in shape and for motivation while training my boys. Currently I do spar on occasions, usually with MMA fighters to help them with their boxing when they ask. I sparred a few times at the boys and girls club as a teen used to box with the amateurs also when I was in the Marines on Camp Pendleton but have never taken it further than friendly & sometimes not so friendly sparring lol! I have done it a lot and I am not afraid to mix it up but I do not and prefer not to spar pro "boxers" only amateurs and pro MMA guys because their more at my level not to say they dont get the better of me at times too haha! My focus is mainly on my kids though, I just try to show them that I do everything that they do, if they jump rope for 20 mins I do too, they run 6 miles, I do too, they spar, I do too etc...

Comment

sparred when I was younger

Comment

I fall into the category. I never competed in boxing or MMA, but I trained both and sparred during most workouts when I was younger.

I competed in grappling/BJJ though, but never boxing.

Comment

I've been in the ring with Brian Barbosa, Tommy Galipeau and Jesus (Manny) Contreras sparring. Not all time greats, but fighter who themselves have been in the ring with top rated fighters. I've also worked out with Vinny Paz and Steve Collins. Those are my notables. Wish I had more dedication back when I was fighting, I was decent and enjoyed it but hold no illusions that I ever would have been a world champion. Until you're in the ring with guys at even that level you may THINK you can do it, but trust me, top fighters are another breed.

Comment

Working...
                      X