Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hearns vs Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you see HBO's Legendary Nights, a newspaper clipping is shown that I thought was written right after the fight and mentions the broken hand. Also, the HBO show comments on the exact punch that does the damage.

Comment

Tommy Hearns is my favorite fighter as you should know from my screen name but it is funny when people try to make this out to be one of the most exciting fights of all time when reality it wasn't.After the first round i knew Tommy was done.He could never knock out Hagler and i doubt any middleweight in history could.Tommy charged out throwing everything he had but never hurt Hagler.Sure he cut him but Marvin was never in any danger of being knocked down.And as i said from there it was pretty much over the tides never turned.You just knew Hearns was going to be knocked out.
      If you really want to see a action packed fight between two world class guys where the tides kept turning from moment to moment then watch Foreman vs Lyle.He is a little re-cap of the fight and you tell me which one was more exciting.
      Round 1 Foreman boxing moving using the jab like he always does but late in the round he drops his hands and gets taged with a vicious over hand right and is hurt badly.Foreman staggers back to his corner
      Round 2 Lyle comes out strong and has Foreman backing back.Foreman is fighting well for a guy who is usually on the attack but shows he can box moving backward a little.Foreman landed a big 5 punch combo and Lyle Staggers back Foreman goes in for the kill not throwing wild like he did vs Ali.The round ends after only 2 minutes.
      3 Round 2 nothing really happens.Foreman continues to jab and is in control.
      Round 4 Foreman is still in control until Lyle hits Foreman with another right hand...Foreman backs up and then circles a bit.Lyle lands a a combination and Foreman goes down.Foreman gets up.He doesn't really looks hurt.Lyle and Foreman began to trade and then "boom" Foreman lands what looks like a grazing right hand and Lyle goes down.He gets up and seems to be really hurt.Foreman again goes for the kill.Lyle is being hit at will.Foreman tries to throw a hook but Lyle lands a shorter hook.Foreman is stun he gets hit with some more devastating punches and goes down hard right on this face.
      Round 5 Lyle is all over Foreman.Foreman is really taking a beating.Then again out of no where Foreman lands a jab right hand combo Lyle falls toward the ropes and Foreman pounds away until Lyle falls face first to the canvas.
      The tides kept changing you didnt know who was going to win.Foreman was only really hurt by punches in this fight which shows how hard Lyle must of punched.It also showed how great of a fighter Lyle was and if he would of turned pro at 20 or so instead of 28 Lyle would of probably been considered one of the greatest Fighters ever.
      Again Hearns vs Hagler was a good fight.But it won't have you at the edge of your seat like Lyle Foreman did.So if you haven't seen this fight then go out and try to find it.I think you can download it for free at Shareanza.com

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
        Tommy Hearns is my favorite fighter as you should know from my screen name but it is funny when people try to make this out to be one of the most exciting fights of all time when reality it wasn't.After the first round i knew Tommy was done.He could never knock out Hagler and i doubt any middleweight in history could.Tommy charged out throwing everything he had but never hurt Hagler.Sure he cut him but Marvin was never in any danger of being knocked down.And as i said from there it was pretty much over the tides never turned.You just knew Hearns was going to be knocked out.
        If you really want to see a action packed fight between two world class guys where the tides kept turning from moment to moment then watch Foreman vs Lyle.He is a little re-cap of the fight and you tell me which one was more exciting.
        Round 1 Foreman boxing moving using the jab like he always does but late in the round he drops his hands and gets taged with a vicious over hand right and is hurt badly.Foreman staggers back to his corner
        Round 2 Lyle comes out strong and has Foreman backing back.Foreman is fighting well for a guy who is usually on the attack but shows he can box moving backward a little.Foreman landed a big 5 punch combo and Lyle Staggers back Foreman goes in for the kill not throwing wild like he did vs Ali.The round ends after only 2 minutes.
        Round 4 Foreman is still in control until Lyle hits Foreman with another right hand...Foreman backs up and then circles a bit.Lyle lands a a combination and Foreman goes down.Foreman gets up.He doesn't really looks hurt.Lyle and Foreman began to trade and then "boom" Foreman lands what looks like a grazing right hand and Lyle goes down.He gets up and seems to be really hurt.Foreman again goes for the kill.Lyle is being hit at will.Foreman tries to throw a hook but Lyle lands a shorter hook.Foreman is stun he gets hit with some more devastating punches and goes down hard right on this face.
        Round 5 Lyle is all over Foreman.Foreman is really taking a beating.Then again out of no where Foreman lands a jab right hand combo Lyle falls toward the ropes and Foreman pounds away until Lyle falls face first to the canvas.
        The tides kept changing you didnt know who was going to win.Foreman was only really hurt by punches in this fight which shows how hard Lyle must of punched.It also showed how great of a fighter Lyle was and if he would of turned pro at 20 or so instead of 28 Lyle would of probably been considered one of the greatest Fighters ever.
        Again Hearns vs Hagler was a good fight.But it won't have you at the edge of your seat like Lyle Foreman did.So if you haven't seen this fight then go out and try to find it.I think you can download it for free at Shareanza.com
        impressive..a Hearns fan talking sense about the fight. Al Micheals and Al Bernstein were abit dramatic when they said "Hagler almost knocked out in the first" The only danger Hagler was in was if they stopped it due to the cut. Hearns didn't have a prayer after the first round.

Comment

great quote fom former lightweight world champ Jim Watt who now commentates on this fight in his thick Scots accent:

"hearns has cut Hagler, he didnae wanna do that!"

howe tree that turned out to be as it inspired Marvin to go for the early finish.
          Great fight with two great fighters

Comment

i to beleive its over rated short and one great round i liked duran barkley better at middle

Comment

its been a while since i seen it but if memory serves me right it was hagler who started the agressor,none of this "feeling out" routine for the first couple of rounds.he hurt hearns but if you look at hearns face he looks stunned,like"this isnt the way its supposed to go"thing.hagler hurt his pride and tommy got involved in a war,exactly what hagler wanted.hagler was a smart fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistof Fury
                I have to agree that Hagler was hard as rock and wasn't troubled by many hard punchers of the time. But by no means invincible. He had been knocked down just the year before by someone (can't remember who). Hearns right was a powerful punch. He obviously didn't nearly KO him, but I think if he had continued to 'stun' him the way he was doing, then you never know what would have happened in those early rounds.
                Hagler was only officially knocked down only once in his career and it was way before he fought Hearns. It was like 5 or 6 fights before he fought hearns. He had a slip vs Jaun Domingo Roldan in the first round and it was officially ruled a knockdown. Roldan had good power though. He was giving Hagler some trouble in the early rounds and then Hagler stuck a thumb in his eye and dominated the rest of the fight and stopped him around the 9th or 10th. Roldan was Hagler's first fight to defend the Undisputed Middleweight Championship. I never seen any punch seriously hurt Hagler. The guy is about as indestructable as you can get as a middleweight.

James Toney probably has the second best ability to take punishment I have ever seen. He does not even get hurt by heavyweights. I doubt there would ever be any middleweight or supermiddleweight that could hurt him, especially with his counterpunching ability.

Comment

Mckay what heavyweights have Toney fought?Holyfield=Cruiserweight and he was washed up.Ruiz=Cruiserweight Ruiz started his career as a cruiserweight and Ruiz is a complete bum with no punch at all.Booker is a Light heavweight i believe and he is a bum.Toney has yet to fight a heavyweight so you don't know if he could take a heavyweight punch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804 View Post
                    - - At the time folks weren't counting Tommy out so soon as you.

Lyle unfairly was considered a gimmee for George, but if you recall, had he been allowed to ropadopa Ali and taken him to a decision and won the fight, folks would have a different measure of Lyle going into the Foreman fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X