No announcement yet.

Cotto Threw And Landed More Jabs Than Power Punches Against Mayorga

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    Running for a couple rounds when you're hurt isnt the same as running for 3/4 of the fight to avoid taking more punishment. Cotto mentally quit after 3 rounds
    Getting KTFO/Prescotted from one punch isn't the same as taking 11 rounds of punishment from a bigger opponent with plaster wraps or fighting the best p4p steroid-fiend in the game.

Prescott.... it really happened.

Comment

Why does everyone say that Cotto looked like chit in the Mayorga fight just because Cotto didn't finish him off easy in the early rounds? That makes zero sense. If you rewatch the fight you'll see that Cotto did look good. Mayorga came into the fight looking in better shape then a majority of his fights and was also alot bigger then Cotto. Mayorga still is a big guy with power so of course Cotto's no just gonna go in there and try to Knock him out. He's got to fight a smart fight with patience, most of you don't understand that.

Comment

cotto's gonna get killed vs margarito (ima cotto fan)

he should of fought Cornelius Bundrage for another title another paycheck before margarita Margarita's style will just cause fits for cotto

Sergei Dzindziruk beats cotto easy!!

Saul Canelo its a risk reward fight I can see Canelo being to young to much for cotto but I can also see cotto gettin a late ko

LONG STORY SHORT BYE COTTO!!!

Comment

The jab is the first thing Steward gets his fighters working on establishing, as you have seen with fighters like Wlad and Lennox. I remember when Manny took JT on he said how JT always had a great jab but had stopped using it in recent years and that was something he was trying to get JT to bring back into prominence.

The main issue with Cotto against Margs for me is that if Margs keeps coming like he did last time and starts to hurt Cotto then Cotto will fold a bit mentally and revert to type. It will take a great deal of mental strength for Cotto not to be bothered by Margarito's pressure.

Cotto has to make sure he stays 100% disciplined and refuse to let Marg make him fight going backwards, but Cotto has a tendency to do that late in fights naturally. He also needs to step up his defence a bit and stop that waving his arm in front of his face defence he sometimes goes to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
            I won't lie, that left jab to that eye of Tony has me worried but other than that, I'm good.

I think Cotto is a better offensive technical boxer than Marquez. But Marquez is both offensive and defensive.
            which marquez? jm marquez? sorry brah. no way.

Comment

green k if i could end if thread right there

Comment

Originally posted by 915angel View Post
                cotto's gonna get killed vs margarito (ima cotto fan)

he should of fought Cornelius Bundrage for another title another paycheck before margarita Margarita's style will just cause fits for cotto

Sergei Dzindziruk beats cotto easy!!

Saul Canelo its a risk reward fight I can see Canelo being to young to much for cotto but I can also see cotto gettin a late ko

LONG STORY SHORT BYE COTTO!!!
                Bro, don't be so quick to allow yourself to look slow in public.

How much of the "style" of Margarito that you claim is so bad for Cotto had to do with PLASTER? How much of that busted nose from the 2nd round have to do with Cotto gassing out?

I find it hilarious when kids make the claim about "margarito's style." His "style" was to wrap his fist in plaster.

It's called cheating.

Owned?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  All that fight really did was raise Mayorga's stock. Mayorga lasted longer and did better than people expected. Sort of like Morales and Corley did against Maidana.
                  I thought the same exact thing. I was pissed when the fight was first made and thought it wouldn't go past 6 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                    I know this is old but i don't think anyone paid attention to that statistic I think that was a first on Cotto's career and really rare in boxing today to land and throw more jabs than power punches. The only guy I can think of is Wladimir Klitschko. Steward is really turning Cotto in to a whole different fighter who fights behind a constant jab to keep the opponent away and dictate te pace of the fight.
                    But You must take all fights into context. Mayorga is a very easy target. Of course Cotto will look exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      All that fight really did was raise Mayorga's stock. Mayorga lasted longer and did better than people expected. Sort of like Morales and Corley did against Maidana.
                      How is that so? Morales and Corley both lasted the distance and won enough rounds for the decisions to be debatable. While Mayorga on the other hand was down wide on points and got stopped inside the distance. If that performance against Cotto "raised Mayorga's stock," then his performance against Shane Mosley should have increased his stock tenfold.

Comment

Working...
                      X