Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would these old school fighters do today in these divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chavez is great in any era!!! chavez was also a beast BELOW 140 too,

Comment

Locche would definitely be champ at 140, with Chavez number one contender.. Chavez wasn't the same animal at 140 that he was at the lower weight classes, Locche would dance around him all night to a UD while having a cigar between rounds!

Monzon for sure would be champ, I think he would probably outbox GGG to a UD as his chin was amazing, he'd stop Sergio at this stage of his career.

Marciano is an interesting one, if he hit as hard as some believe he did then he'd probably be the number one, but I'm not so sure that he was as good as some would have you believe! If there was a very good outboxer in the division then I'd favour them over him but There isn't really so I'll give the Rock the benefit of the doubt... Him and Huck would be a war though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
        Marciano would never make 175. He trained every day and his walkaround weight was 195 or so. He cut weight in training. They felt (rightly or wrongly) that the power you give up in cutting weight is more than made up for in agility and endurance.
        and thats what new school fight fans just don't get.............(past havyweights actually took their careers SERIOUS. they would come in fit and what best suited their body) really a guy like arreola should be 215 pounds (but he's severely overweight)

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          the worst fighter there is locche. LW sucks right now, so he'd be champion if he were motivated.

the rest are great, great fighters.

and dan is right. marciano ran a ton for a HW to get down to his fighting weights. he'd be a cruiserweight at the very lowest. i think he'd do fine at HW, to tell you the truth. is chris arreola insurmountably big at a flabby 240 lbs? nope.
          Locche > Marciano

Comment

Originally posted by pigsfly View Post
            and thats what new school fight fans just don't get.............(past havyweights actually took their careers SERIOUS. they would come in fit and what best suited their body) really a guy like arreola should be 215 pounds (but he's severely overweight)
            You have to take into account dietary differences between then and now! Walking around at 195 is not a huge leap to 175, I've seen fighters for example in the UFC like Chael Sonnen go from a muscular 240 down to 185 in the past!

Past fighters didn't believe in salads, let alone understand metabolic rates! I've read up on The Rocks training on the past and it is crazy how fit he was, but he ate 3 large meals a day and only done road work, break that into 6 small meals and cut some roadwork to sprints guarantee that guy would make 175 easy, maybe even 168!!

Comment

Working...
            X