No announcement yet.

SHOTS FIRED: Rashad Evans to Greg Jackson: It's your fault

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOTS FIRED: Rashad Evans to Greg Jackson: It's your fault

Greg Jackson has himself to blame for teammates fighting each other, Rashad Evans says.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship chose to have new light-heavyweight beltholder Jon Jones make his first title defense against former champion Evans. When they were teammates at the Albuquerque, N.M. camp run by Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn, the fighters vowed never to fight each other.

They're not teammates anymore.

"I decided 2 leave Greg because I felt like he didn't have my best interest anymore," Evans posted Sunday on his Twitter account. "Greg is not the same coach he use 2 b."

Evans started working with Jackson after winning Season 2 of The Ultimate Fighter in 2005. When Jones inquired about joining the camp in 2009, Evans "straight up" opposed the notion.

"I told him that the kid was talented and that the sky was the limit with him, but that was the type of guy I wanted to fight, not train with," Evans told Bloody Elbow. "After awhile, Greg was so high on this kid coming in. I met Jon Jones and he was a very nice and very sweet kid, so eventually I said ... let' s bring him in."

Jackson has said he washes his hands of the upcoming match-up because he does not like seeing teammates fight each other. But the coach should have known better to begin with, Evans said in the Bloody Elbow interview.

"You can't say you are not going to have anything to do with it when you are a big part of the reason why the situation originated," Evans said. "That's like spilling a glass of milk and then walking away and saying that you don't want to have anything to do with it. You (freaking) spilled the milk."

Evans won the 205-pound title in 2008 with Jackson as his coach. But the coaching network that includes Jackson and Winkeljohn also has other gyms, such as Trevor Wittman's Grudge Training Center in Denver. For his last two fights, against Thiago Silva and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Evans did most of his training at Grudge, rather than in Albuquerque.

Now he plans to form his own camp so he doesn't have to worry about fighting teammates. Evans said his primary trainer will be UFC veteran Mike van Arsdale, one of the coaches at Jackson's camp.
    Looks like we may have a grudge match on our hands.

He has a point but...from his own words, it sounds as if Jackson didn't start training Jones until Rashad gave the OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      He has a point but...from his own words, it sounds as if Jackson didn't start training Jones until Rashad gave the OK.
      I agree.

And who fools of a trainer would not want to develop a talented fighter? When one becomes a champion (especially he stays long holding the belt), the camp gets the credit, the money, the approval of everybody.

Comment

This is the same thing Sanchez did. Evans just needs to quit being a *****. There is no gym that just has one fighter in every division.

Comment

He is in good hands with Mike Van Arsdale

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
            I agree.

And who fools of a trainer would not want to develop a talented fighter? When one becomes a champion (especially he stays long holding the belt), the camp gets the credit, the money, the approval of everybody.
            exactly, jackson would have been stupid to tell Jones to go train somewhere else instead of hurt evan's ego. rashad is already making up excuses for when jones beats his ass, there's a huge gap in talent between jones and rashad, bones could have the worst trainer and evans the best and evans still gets handed a huge beatdown. i didn't see evans having much chance at beating a healthy Shogun, there's no way he beats jones unless the fight's fixed

Comment

He will defiantly be good in the hands of van Arsdale.

Maybe a trip to Canada to train with Georges and Faraz.

His decision to leave shouldn't impact his performance to much

Comment

I actually think the only advantage Rashad has is that him and Jones are from the same gym.

Jones is unpredictable and that helps him win fights. Perhaps training and sparring with him so much in the past will mean Rashad knows what to expect a lot more than anyone else.

I dunno, maybe that isn't the case, but it's possible.

Comment

Rashad is just creating an imaginery fued to hype the fight. Either that or he is trying to get himself psyched.

Comment

Working...
                  X