No announcement yet.

Once and for all who was the better fighter in his Prime Roy or Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
    Based on the video, who was the better fighter Roy or Floyd?

I'm fine with this percentage breakdown.

Comment

Roy is better in his prime, Floyd is better overall.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
        Based on the video, who was the better fighter Roy or Floyd?

The answer is, and always will be, ROY!

Comment

Prime for prime, I have to go with Roy Jones for many of the reasons stated. His dominance captured the imagination and he beat to better names than Mayweather has managed to do.

The thing is, when I judge fighters, I like to judge the WHOLE fighter, not just the parts that make me feel warm a fuzzy inside. Jones went up like a rocket, light up the sky, but came down like a burnt out comet. Mayweather didn't rise as fast, hasn't burnt as bright but is coming down like a feather and still looking hard to beat despite declining in certain ways.

Both great fighters that achieved so much and increased my love for boxing, Roy Jones was otherworldly when at his peak and I have no need to cut into either guy to make my point.

Comment

Roy...

Was more dominant over better oppostion.
            Was hit less
            Lost fewer rounds
            And had the threat of one punch KO power and could've got ANYBODY out of there from 160-175 if he chose to step on the gas.

Floyd only has Roy beat in longevity. But i wonder what Floyd's staying power would've been like if he had've dropped 2 weight divisions to fight Hatton in his strongest weight class (after facing DLH @ 154) seeing as though he couldn't even lose 2 pounds for a guy coming up 2 divisions to face him... Could he have gotten Tarver'd?

Comment

the obvious/easy answer is floyd but man was roy jones fun to watch and his hand speed for his size was un human I think both of them are just so much better then competition that they will go down as 2 of the most un appreciated fighters but if your asking who is the better boxer i have to go with floyd

Comment

I am of the opinion that Roy was the most impressive to watch and marvel at but Floyd in his prime was the more effective and efficient boxer. You could say that P4P Roy is quicker and hits harder (although Floyd could bang at 130 - 135 and is very fast himself). Floyd has a better skillset, better chin, better defense, better in ring IQ, more versatile.... and just about everything else... Floyd took the athleticism of Roy and mixed in the IQ and skills of Hopkins and Toney...

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                  Prime for prime, I have to go with Roy Jones for many of the reasons stated. His dominance captured the imagination and he beat to better names than Mayweather has managed to do.

The thing is, when I judge fighters, I like to judge the WHOLE fighter, not just the parts that make me feel warm a fuzzy inside. Jones went up like a rocket, light up the sky, but came down like a burnt out comet. Mayweather didn't rise as fast, hasn't burnt as bright but is coming down like a feather and still looking hard to beat despite declining in certain ways.

Both great fighters that achieved so much and increased my love for boxing, Roy Jones was otherworldly when at his peak and I have no need to cut into either guy to make my point.

On point with this.

Comment

Originally posted by No. View Post
                    Roy...

Was more dominant over better oppostion.
                    Was hit less
                    Lost fewer rounds
                    And had the threat of one punch KO power and could've got ANYBODY out of there from 160-175 if he chose to step on the gas.

Floyd only has Roy beat in longevity. But i wonder what Floyd's staying power would've been like if he had've dropped 2 weight divisions to fight Hatton in his strongest weight class (after facing DLH @ 154) seeing as though he couldn't even lose 2 pounds for a guy coming up 2 divisions to face him... Could he have gotten Tarver'd?
                    And this too.

Comment

• Originally posted by low_Bo View Post
                      Floyd...superior skill. Jones was more of a genetic freak, and Floyd is more of an intelligent boxer.
                      Yeah but if they were able to fight at a weight, Roy and his gifts, would beat Floyd and his technique.

Comment

Working...
                      X