No announcement yet.

100 year old boxing photo restored

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    That's a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

The brutality of boxing in the old prizering is so evident here. This picture is from a 15 round fight. Imagine that the championship distance back then was 45 rounds.

Hyland, on the right, lost this fight, but years earlier he had challenged Battling Nelson for the world lightweight title where he was stopped in 23 rounds.

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/b...ick-hyland;rad
    Thats was a 45 round round fight correct?

Comment

The brutality of boxing in the old prizering is so evident here. This picture is from a 15 round fight. Imagine that the championship distance back then was 45 rounds.

Hyland, on the right, lost this fight, but years earlier he had challenged Battling Nelson for the world lightweight title where he was stopped in 23 rounds.
      Seen as much or more blood in todays in MMA with lumps to go with it , actually the blood looks painted on in that pic with no bruising or bad swelling , maybe they both had a blood nose and nobody wiped it off .

Imagination is the biggest of liars , in the days of 45 round fights they hardly hit each other , they hardly moved with more intensity than a waltz , unless you think they were better trained than modern fighters and were super human to boot , because today they are struggling to do 12-15 rnds when trained to perfection .

Comment

Originally posted by itsafight View Post
        Who is that in your avi?
        Battling Nelson
        Originally posted by _Gatti_ View Post
        Thats was a 45 round round fight correct?
        Yes.
        Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
        Seen as much or more blood in todays in MMA with lumps to go with it , actually the blood looks painted on in that pic with no bruising or bad swelling , maybe they both had a blood nose and nobody wiped it off .

Imagination is the biggest of liars , in the days of 45 round fights they hardly hit each other , they hardly moved with more intensity than a waltz , unless you think they were better trained than modern fighters and were super human to boot , because today they are struggling to do 12-15 rnds when trained to perfection .
        I suggest you watch some old footage and read some newspaperarticles.

And I think they where in better training back then due to them fighting much more often. Several fighters where runners as well. Former lightweight champion Battling Nelson was a qualified olympic marathon runner.

Finally the number of punches thrown was about the same Per round. There have been punchstats made for the Wolgast-Nelson championship fight, a fight that went 40 rounds, and these guys was just as active in the final rounds as in the beginning. The punches Per round equalled Saad Muhammad fights as I recall it.

Comment

Great picture!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

Would love to see the original.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/b...ick-hyland;rad
            Amazing. Thanks.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

thats prizefighting!

Comment

Battling Nelson

Yes.

I suggest you watch some old footage and read some newspaperarticles.

And I think they where in better training back then due to them fighting much more often. Several fighters where runners as well. Former lightweight champion Battling Nelson was a qualified olympic marathon runner.

Finally the number of punches thrown was about the same Per round. There have been punchstats made for the Wolgast-Nelson championship fight, a fight that went 40 rounds, and these guys was just as active in the final rounds as in the beginning. The punches Per round equalled Saad Muhammad fights as I recall it.
                They were better trained , you got be kidding me enjoy you imagination .

Comment

They were better trained , you got be kidding me enjoy you imagination .
                  Enjoy your ignorance. With that attitude it should last a while.

Comment

Wow. That is amazing.

Comment

Ali-Frazier, two HW's went 15 rounds in a war in Thrilla in Manila, the temperature was over 100 degrees and over 90% humidity making it feel like 110+ degrees and very difficult to breathe. Go to Southern states near bodies of water and you'll know the difference between dry and humid heat, humid will always feel MUCH hotter. How many boxers can you think of can do that today?

These men did this in the 70's too. I've been saying it time and time again, boxing is at a weak point, guys aren't taking training seriously, they're draining themselves, the overall talent isn't what it used to be. The talent pool used to be massive, these men grew up poor and were fighting for their lives, combine those two things and you produce extremely talented guys.

You could just imagine what boxing would be like if it remained popular in the states and kept progressing like the NBA/NFL did.

Comment

Working...
                      X