Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Sambo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best martial arts out there imo.

Can't go wrong with BJJ, Sambo, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, heck even wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky... View Post
      Anybody ever done this???? no much about it etc???, just found out theirs a gym not that far away from me, im thinking of joining.
      go for it mate!

i`ve done a(v/little) bit of "combat sambo"

one of my mates is a pro/semi-pro mma fighter & i train with him sometimes
      (he has studied sambo,bjj,capoeria,mau thai,boxing...etc)

i trained in judo when i was a kid & sambo reminds me of judo & bjj!(ie grappling,subs.. etc)

the emelianenko brothers & andre arlovski are experts in the art!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandwich View Post
        One of the best martial arts out there imo.

Can't go wrong with BJJ, Sambo, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, heck even wrestling.
        Wrestler>boxer 9/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
          Wrestler>boxer 9/10.
          I actually agree with you. It's just that some people don't view wrestling as a martial art (or as an effective martial art). In reality, it's one of the best.

Arguably the best base for a mixed martial artist as well. Boxing is a great striking martial art, but when you get taken down, and you will (it's much much easier to take someone down than it is to knock someone out) you're like a fish out of water.

A phenomenal wrestler (wrestlers are also well known for their conditioning) can control where the fight goes, and the pace of the fight. If they want to keep the fight standing, they'll keep the fight standing. If they want to take the fight to the ground, or put you up against the cage, it's going to happen.

Ground and pound is a relatively easy talent to develop (in comparison to say, developing very good striking skills).

There are some extremely EXTREMELY good (olympic calibre) wrestlers who have made the switch to MMA with only a couple years of training. You don't really see that with the other martial arts. Though BJJ can occasionally do the same (Demian Maia, Jacare, etc).
          Last edited by Sandwich; 06-06-2009, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Cheers for the reply lads, yeah i think im going to go for it

Palma you have a pm m8.

Comment

Palma you have a pm m8.

cool, let us know how bad your ass gets kicked on the first day!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandwich View Post
                I actually agree with you. It's just that some people don't view wrestling as a martial art (or as an effective martial art). In reality, it's one of the best.

Arguably the best base for a mixed martial artist as well. Boxing is a great striking martial art, but when you get taken down, and you will (it's much much easier to take someone down than it is to knock someone out) you're like a fish out of water.

A phenomenal wrestler (wrestlers are also well known for their conditioning) can control where the fight goes, and the pace of the fight. If they want to keep the fight standing, they'll keep the fight standing. If they want to take the fight to the ground, or put you up against the cage, it's going to happen.

Ground and pound is a relatively easy talent to develop (in comparison to say, developing very good striking skills).

There are some extremely EXTREMELY good (olympic calibre) wrestlers who have made the switch to MMA with only a couple years of training. You don't really see that with the other martial arts. Though BJJ can occasionally do the same (Demian Maia, Jacare, etc).
                Yeah man, those are basically my sentiments as well. I see you were speaking more to the perceptions of wrestling than to the reality.

Comment

Palma you have a pm m8.

Thanks Rocky and best of luck, keep us posted on your training if you decide to try the art of Sambo out. The website you sent me looks really cool, I sent my instructor in Poland an email asking if he was familiar with the instructor that would teach your class. I will let you know what his reply is.

Comment

Originally posted by Palma View Post
                    Thanks Rocky and best of luck, keep us posted on your training if you decide to try the art of Sambo out. The website you sent me looks really cool, I sent my instructor in Poland an email asking if he was familiar with the instructor that would teach your class. I will let you know what his reply is.
                    Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                    X