Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the definition of "the prime of a boxer"? When is a boxer in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the definition of "the prime of a boxer"? When is a boxer in his prime?

read this on a another site heavyweightblog

There are SEVERAL PRIMES = DIFFERENT PRIMES of a boxer = Different ATTRIBUTES that PEAK at different times.

There is the speed prime.

There is the chin prime.

There is the stamina prime.

There is the athleticism prime.

There is the the body toll prime (body injury prime) (which decreases after every fight and heals during longer breaks)

There is the hunger and dedication prime.

There is the reflex prime.

There is the prime of the power/accuracy/snap of the punch…

There is the mobility prime prime (footwork, head movement, …).

etc…

Thus THE PRIME is when the COMBINED attributes add up to a "high level package of attributes".

In other words: A boxer may NEVER have a prime per se, only a high level combination of SEVERAL peaking (or near-peaking) attributes.

do you guy agree

When they're at their absolute best physically, the ending point is the hardest to spot. I do consider chin as well, those who tend to get hit a lot lose their prime early. I personally don't care for whether they were still hungry or not, that should not count.

Comment

When they are a fetus

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        When they're at their absolute best physically, the ending point is the hardest to spot. I do consider chin as well, those who tend to get hit a lot lose their prime early. I personally don't care for whether they were still hungry or not, that should not count.
        Kinda depends. Like Bernard Hopkins; I think he was at his absolute peak/prime at 36 years of age. It was when everything in his game came together (physically, mentally, ring IQ, etc). I'm guessing he may have been physically stronger & a bit faster when he was 25 years old, but he wasn't nearly the fighter at that age and thus not considered prime at 25.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          Kinda depends. Like Bernard Hopkins; I think he was at his absolute peak/prime at 36 years of age. It was when everything in his game came together (physically, mentally, ring IQ, etc). I'm guessing he may have been physically stronger & a bit faster when he was 25 years old, but he wasn't nearly the fighter at that age and thus not considered prime at 25.
          See, I don't believe that to be the case with Hopkins in terms of ring IQ, I didn't see anything with Hopkins in his mid 30s that I didn't see earlier in his career. Just that Hopkins, fortunately for him, was always physically strong that he can always manhandle his opponents/ hold his own and stop them from getting off when he no longer had the stamina. All that changed was that he became more of a spoiler, not that he didn't know how to apply any of that before.

Hopkins physical prime on the other hand is harder to spot, I can only say that he started to slow noticeably after Joppy. It's weird because with Hopkins how much of it was getting down to 160/ age?

Comment

I think late 20's/early 30's are generally the prime for a boxer provided they haven't taken too much punishment early on. It's when they are still at their physical peak and they also have the essential experience and IQ that they lacked at a younger age, it all comes together.

Of course there are a huge amount of exceptions, this is just a generalisation.

Comment

I guess it all depends on the boxer some peak before others

Comment

Working...
              X