Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how good was a prime Felix Sturm?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how good was a prime Felix Sturm?

Is he a HOF?

He was a very good fighter for an extended period of time but outside of Oscar, he didn't fight anyone worth a damn. It's not unusual for a name to be missed but to miss out on Taylor, Pavlik, Martinez, Williams and just about anyone else relevant in the division and to not even make any noise about fighting them is bad. It's especially bad when you miss out a fight that could have been easily made against AA.

Sturm then went on to, in my eyes, lose the title to Macklin and possibly Murray too.

Not HOF sadly.

Comment

I wonder how his career would had went if he wasn't robbed against Oscar. That fight basically is the reason he never left Germany again. I honestly think he would have given Hopkins a very good fight during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        He was a very good fighter for an extended period of time but outside of Oscar, he didn't fight anyone worth a damn. It's not unusual for a name to be missed but to miss out on Taylor, Pavlik, Martinez, Williams and just about anyone else relevant in the division and to not even make any noise about fighting them is bad. It's especially bad when you miss out a fight that could have been easily made against AA.

Sturm then went on to, in my eyes, lose the title to Macklin and possibly Murray too.

Not HOF sadly.
        This ^. He's definitely past his sell by now though he was a very good fighter in his prime, but - and perhaps because of the ODLH debacle - opted to stay in Germany and milk his popularity there, Good paydays and so-so opponents might be a nice way of earning a living but it shouldn't get you in the HOF - in my opinion, at least.

But he should've got the win against Murray, seems like the judges felt like they had to make up for the Macklin decision or something.

Comment

I think we need to look at some of the HOF guys that have got in there, If we're adding our own stipulations to getting into the HOF then sure I can understand why you might say he isn't worthy of being brought into it but as things stand yes he likely deserves to be put in the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
            I wonder how his career would had went if he wasn't robbed against Oscar. That fight basically is the reason he never left Germany again. I honestly think he would have given Hopkins a very good fight during that time.
            I never saw the fight but i have heard alot of people say he got robbed, was it really a big clear robbery?

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
              I never saw the fight but i have heard alot of people say he got robbed, was it really a big clear robbery?
              Terrible robbery. Sturm won the majority of the first 10, then switched southpaw and dominated Oscar for 11 and 12. One of Felix' best performances and Oscar's worst, but still Oscar got the gift. Even HBO had to admit it was a robbery.

I see Sturm as Germany's version of Winky Wright. Solid fighter based on skill but lacking in some departments to ultimately make them overrated in the grand scheme.

Comment

In my opinion it was. Strum couldn't missed with that piston like jab and was busting Oscar face up with it all night long.

He bullied Oscar around the ring and had no respect for his power at all. Oscar was also slow as molasses and really fat looking. Middleweight was way too much for Oscar.

Comment

Depends what you like, I personally preferred Oscars pressing game being active looking to engage with big shots whereas Sturm was being neater and very cagey.

Not a robbery could have gone either way though.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                    Depends what you like, I personally preferred Oscars pressing game being active looking to engage with big shots whereas Sturm was being neater and very cagey.

Not a robbery could have gone either way though.
                    It was daylight robbery.

Comment

Working...
                    X