No announcement yet.

Toney: US olympians were GARBAGE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toney: US olympians were GARBAGE

The much touted American men's boxing team that exited the Olympics without a medal for the first time were 'garbage' and not worth watching, multiple weight world champion James Toney told Reuters.

The much vaunted nine men from America were expected to right the wrongs of the Beijing Games where they took home just one bronze, their worst Olympic performance, but failed to live up to the hype in London.

Toney, who won world titles at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight and now holds the IBU heavyweight title, was not impressed by his compatriots.

"Worst team ever. B-Class," the 43-year-old told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"They weren't worth watching, every single one of them was garbage."
    Flyweight Rau'shee Warren lost his opening bout for the third consecutive Olympics and said he was heading for the professional ranks. Teenage bantamweight Jose Diaz and lightweight Jose Ramirez are other members of the London team who are ditching the amateurs for the lure of money and fame.

Welterweight Errol Spence, the last man to fall in the biggest U.S. boxing team to compete in an Olympics, said he wanted previous medalists to come back and help for the 2016 Games

Toney offered his services for a role within the coaching set-up to help add to their record 48 golds but expected it would be rejected.

"James Toney is too controversial. I'm the last old school fighter. I would clean the house out," Toney, who has a professional record of 74 wins, seven losses and three draws, said.

With that avenue likely to be closed off, the American known as 'lights out' is instead trying to sort out his next fight.

After a bout with Poland's IBF world champion Tomasz Adamek was called off, Toney is targeting a fight with undefeated Briton Tyson Fury, who also represents Ireland.

Fury picked up the WBO intercontinental title with a knockout victory over Toney's compatriot Vinny Maddalone in England last month to extend his record to 19-0.

That led to talk of a fight with one of the two Klitschko brothers who hold all the main heavyweight belts, however, Toney believed he would be a better opponent for the lanky Fury.

"I would love to fight Tyson Fury. I would travel to England and knock him out."

"I have five years left, I'm in the best shape I have been in 10 years, passed every medical. Look at my record, beaten 10 world champions. Vinny Maddalone was a C-class fighter, let's get it on."

While Toney says he will wait and see whether or not Fury will give him a shot, he has a better idea of how to find out who is the best fighter in the heavyweight division.

"We can have a world championship, Olympics style. We can have it in a great city like London, all throw our belts in and see who is best.

"Then after I win I can treat myself to a suit from (one of the famed English tailors on) Savile Row."

Gotta love Toney.

Comment

Toney is a great guy.

I want him to fight Fury.

Comment

James Toney needs to retire, he's got brain damage IMO and fighting these younger guys who are no where nearly as skilled as he was back in his day is a sad sight. I used to love Toney and RJJ growing up, but seeing and hearing them now sucks and I would hate to see one of the younger heavyweights actually hurt him and leave him broken for good.

Comment

The trainers and corner men were not very good either.

Comment

I think he'll beat furry.

Comment

Yea Toney's right.

It's much better to embarrass the sport and yourself by getting gift decisions against off-duty security guards and farmers because you're so washed up.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                I think he'll beat furry.
                thanks, I now know to never take your opinions on boxing seriously ever again

Comment

The USA was complete garbage but I think that a few will have good pro careers. Diaz Jr, Warren and Spence will have good pro careers. I think Browne, Gausha and possibly Ramirez can be solid pros but everyone else is pure trash. The guy to keep your eye on is Jesse Hart. He didn't make the Olympic team but he has been the best USA amatuer I've seen for the last couple years. He made his pro debut on the pacquiao-Bradley card. Jesse is a future middleweight star. He is VERY talented.

Comment

this is very unpatriotic, trashing your own countryman LOL Only in America

Comment

Working...
                    X