No announcement yet.

Grade Floyd Mayweather's resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    He's probably the second best ever at 130.

He beat the premiere Lightweight of his time.

140 was a waste.

147, he beat the former lineal champ and lineal champ in succession. He put the first L on an undefeated Jr. Welter champ who showed up full of P&V. His retirement precluded inclusion in what was a deep field at 47 for a while.

In other words, there are ups and downs. There could be more. Mayweather is at least an A- based on what's there.

he gets an A- for fighting a bunch of B level guys while avoiding most of the A level guys? isn't it a lot harder beating 1 A guy then a bunch of crappy B level guys? baldomir and judah ummm ok they were lineal and former lineal but that doesn't mean they were A level. julio cesar gonzalez was lineal and he wasn't A level. what do all those guys have in common? they only 1 won fight over a top guy and fell off. what do cotto and margarito have in common. they both beat a bunch of top guys and had longevity. why does floyd get credit for cherry picking the easiest fights? Al haymon gets an A+ for matchmaking but that's about it. if you want to average floyd's competition since beating hernandez it would prob be a C at best. too many phillip ndous', henry bruseles', justin juukos' and carlos alberto rios' on there.
    Last edited by daggum; 12-25-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

For an active fighter Floyd's resume is one of the best out there but compared to other ATG's his resume is quite average. I'd give him a B at the moment. He really should've fought Cotto in 2008 but that fight didn't happen. I won't blame him for not fighting Margarito because Margs hasn't looked good since the hand wrap scandal broke and a win over him is pretty meaningless now. Also he needs to fight Pacquiao. A win over Pacquiao would easily shoot him up to an A grade especially if its a dominant win.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        2007: Ricky Hatton (43-0)- W TKO10
        ---Unbeaten, coming off wins over Tszyu, Collazo, Urango, and Castillo.

2009: Juan Manuel Marquez (50-4-1)- W UD12
        ---Only losses in 10 years were controversial L's to John in 06' and Pacquiao in 08'. Coming off wins over Barrera, Casamayor, and Diaz.

2011: Victor Ortiz (29-2-2)- W KO4 (Won WBC Welterweight title)
        ---Coming off loss to Maidana, and wins over Diaz, Campbell, Berto, and a draw he should have won over Peterson.
        If your gonna mention pacs catchweights as a problem

Wouldnt you mention Hatton being out of his undefeated weight class, JMM moving up 2 weight classes and the controversy of the ortiz fight?

I think pac and may are pretty much on the same wave length, I just think pac has more balls - Arum doesnt help pac look good tho

Comment

Originally posted by AssasinKing View Post
          If your gonna mention pacs catchweights as a problem

Wouldnt you mention Hatton being out of his undefeated weight class, JMM moving up 2 weight classes and the controversy of the ortiz fight?

I think pac and may are pretty much on the same wave length, I just think pac has more balls - Arum doesnt help pac look good tho
          No, it wasn't a CW vs Hatton, and I didn't post about the 144 lb CW against Marquez on eithers. If he would have fought Oscar at 147, not 145, I wouldn't have even mentioned it. I could have easily mentioned that Pacquiao fought Oscar at a weight he hadn't been at in like 7-8 years, but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
            bro, i am being generous , it's christmass, ask me again on january 7...
            LOL. Gotcha bub. Its to late to turn back now.

Originally posted by Battle*Hardened View Post
            Well then your an idiot. Love? Just because I have someone in my avi. Lol.

Anyways, don't talk to me like i'm foolish, and don't act liek Floyd went through every opponent so easily. Judah gave him all he could handle the first half of the fight and look at all the guys who have thrashed him easily. Styles make fights.

Bottomline is he doesn't have a ATG resume. He might be an ATG based on skill but his resume isn't even top 50 if that's your only basis.
            Half a fight? Really? There is only one way to talk to an idiot. There are some decent posters in this thread and they know how to be realistic. Tighten up baby boy.

Comment

B+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                I will list each notable fight, what he won in the fight, what each fighter had done going into the fight, and each fighters record going in.

1998: Genaro Hernandez (38-1-1)- W RTD8 (Won WBC Super Featherweight title)
                ---Hadn't lost in 3 years (only loss was to De La Hoya), coming off wins over C. Hernandez and Gerena.

1998: Angel Manfredy (25-2-1)- W TKO2
                ---Hadn't lost in 4 years, coming off wins over Ruiz and Gatti.

2000: Gregorio Vargas (40-6-1)- W UD12
                ---Hadn't lost in 3 years, no significant wins though. Lost to C. Hernandez and Molina.

2001: Diego Corrales (33-0)- W TKO10
                ---Unbeaten, coming off wins over Garcia, Juuko, and Manfredy.

2001: Carlos Hernandez (33-2-1)- W UD12
                ---Hadn't lost in 4 years since losing to G. Hernandez, no significant wins.

2001: Jesus Chavez (35-1)- W RTD9
                ---Hadn't lost in 6 years, coming off win over Arias.

2002: Jose Luis Castillo (45-4-1)- W UD12 (Won WBC and RING Lightweight titles)
                ---Hadn't lost in 4 years, coming off wins over Johnston and Bazan.

2002: Jose Luis Castillo (46-5-1)- W UD12
                ---Immediate rematch.

2003: Phillip N'dou (31-1)- W TKO7
                ---Hadn't lost in 5 years, no significant wins.

2004: DeMarcus Corley (28-2-1)- W UD12
                ---Coming off controversial loss to Judah and win over Bailey.

2005: Arturo Gatti (39-6)- W RTD6 (Won WBC Jr. Welterweight title)
                ---Hadn't lost in 3 years, coming off wins over Ward, Branco, and Dorin.

2006: Zab Judah (34-3)- W UD12 (Won IBF Welterweight title)
                ---Coming off win over Spinks and loss to Baldomir.

2006: Carlos Baldomir (43-9-6)- W UD12 (Won WBC and RING Welterweight titles)
                ---Hadn't lost in 8 years, coming off wins over Gatti and Judah.

2007: Oscar De La Hoya (38-4)- W SD12 (Won WBC Super Welterweight title)
                ---Coming off loss to Hopkins, retired, and than came back to KO Mayorga.

2007: Ricky Hatton (43-0)- W TKO10
                ---Unbeaten, coming off wins over Tszyu, Collazo, Urango, and Castillo.

2009: Juan Manuel Marquez (50-4-1)- W UD12
                ---Only losses in 10 years were controversial L's to John in 06' and Pacquiao in 08'. Coming off wins over Barrera, Casamayor, and Diaz.

2010: Shane Mosley (46-5)- W UD12 (WBA Welterweight title on the line only for Mosley)
                ---Hadn't lost in 3 years, coming off wins over Mayorga and Margarito.

2011: Victor Ortiz (29-2-2)- W KO4 (Won WBC Welterweight title)
                ---Coming off loss to Maidana, and wins over Diaz, Campbell, Berto, and a draw he should have won over Peterson.

I'd give his resume a B- or B. He definitely could have had an A resume if he'd beat Margarito in 06' and Cotto in 08', but he can still get up there. Sergio at 154-155 would boost it big time, definitely to a B+, maybe even A-. And, of course Pacquiao would.

Floyd's resume....good and he's an ATG, but it should get better his last couple years here.
                B- / B then..

What grade is it now? With the additions of Cotto (154) Maidana (x2) Canelo and Pacquiao.

Comment

compared to the upper echelon of ATG, floyd's resume is lacking.

compared to the mid level ATG, his resume is comparable.

compared to the lower level ATG, his resume is superior.

floyd mayweather has a mid level all time great resume.

he has nearly unparalleled longevity. he's been the best fighter in the world at several weights. however, he does not have a wealth of top flight historical fighters in their primes. in fact, one could argue that he has none. he fought the good fighters of his era in their primes, but missed out on the primes of some of the very goods / greats.

Comment

Greatest fighter of his generation. Undefeated. First ballot HOFer. Top 25 ATG. Solid A resume historically.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMELESS View Post
                      B- / B then..

What grade is it now? With the additions of Cotto (154) Maidana (x2) Canelo and Pacquiao.
                      Cotto was Pac's leftover
                      Maidana was coming off a loss from Floyd when Floyd fought him
                      Canelo was paid 5 million extra by you know who to carry Floyd, heard it on the grapevine
                      Pacquiao is an easy, one dimensional, reckless, make a lot of mistakes, don't know how to cut the ring, one armed, blood drained urine drained(tested 19 times in 2 months) and 5 losses 3 by knockouts.

so i'd say

small letter d minus.

Comment

Working...
                      X