No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael: Mexican fans in LA told me they want GGG to beat Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Mexicans do not fight nor think alike just because they are Mexicans. That Dan would tweet this as if its some sort of news is disgraceful.

It's like he thinks all Mexicans either like Canelo or would root for him against GGG?
    It surprising because Mexicans usually support the Mexican fighter.

Here they are rooting for a dude from Khazakstan

Comment

What I think Rafael meant is some American fans want GGG to win, the actual Mexican fans will be behind Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
        I don't know if you know this but people support fighters from races different than their own. Amazing i know.
        Mexican fans will support their own before supporting other fighters. You can say that for most races. The fact that Canelo is supposed to be the biggest fighter in Mexico yet has a lot of people wanting him to get his ass kicked tells me people aren't buying his cheap excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post

Didn't Pacquiao have lots of Mexican fans too? Even when he was fighting JMM? Not everyone supports fighters just because they're from their country.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post

My guess is Mexicans choose to root as individuals, not as a body of people, but the TV networks keep shoving "Mexican style" and "Mexican warrior" down are throats and assume that's the only thing Mexican fans care about.

Beer, I got no beef with you but Dan tweeting this as some kind of surprise is disgraceful.

Comment

Canelo need to speak English already & get all those US non-Latino gingers on his side. The US has the most gingers in the world (6M-18M) & their only ginger heros are f#cking Conan O'Brien & Carrot Top ffs. Canelo embrace your gingerness. You can be one of the many boxers Mexican fans look up to or you can be the only ginger boxer millions of gingers love.

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised. Both Puerto Rico and Mexico thought Cotto won the Canelo fight. The only ones who had Canelo winning were the American media/audience. In boxing, it's best not to blindly follow someone because of race.

For example, I'm Puerto Rican, but I'm not exactly on the Verdejo bandwagon yet. I've been very vocal about his flaws. I'd be happy if he fixed them, of course, but I know, at least right now, he'd lose to the top competition.

There's probably a similar situation here. They know GGG is pretty dangerous, so they're rolling with him. They have a right to that. Some "hating" could of course be involved, too, but it's that way with everything in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                  Fans at a Golovkin fight would root for him to beat his rival. OMG who would have thought that?
                  Exactly. This is like asking a woman at a Bernie Sanders rally if she would root for Bernie over Hilary Clinton. Or asking a black guy at a Trump rally if he would vote for Trump over Bernie. Or a young college student at a Hilary Clinton rally if they would vote for Hilary over Bernie Sanders. Why would you be shocked by the answer the fact they are that rally makes them very bias to that politician but doesn't change the fact they are in the vast minority.

Anyone who thinks more Mexicans will root for GGG over Canelo is just plain re tarded.
                  Last edited by bigdunny1; 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I know JMM and Chavez Sr. have been critical of Alvarez picking to fight Khan over Golovkin. I imagine by letting this fight marinate another year sentiment could grow for many Mexican fans, in particular if Canelo keeps looking for easy fights vs small guys. If he fights Pacquiao after Khan he could be killing his fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                      What I think Rafael meant is some American fans want GGG to win, the actual Mexican fans will be behind Canelo.
                      Nacho and JMM aren't very big fans of Canelos

Comment

Working...
                      X