No announcement yet.

Golovkin vs Barker story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golovkin vs Barker story

Pretty funny. Golovkin's team phoned Hearn after the Martinez loss for a fight in the UK. Hearn was excited b/c it was another title shot and asked how much Golovkin wanted: 20 ring-side seats and rights to Eastern European tv, that's it. Hearn was excited, called his match maker with the good news that he landed Barker a title shot. The match maker asked against who, Hearn said Golovkin and the match-maker said no way.

That was true of everyone 3 years ago. Wasn't until Macklin manned up that the floodgates kind of opened for Golovkin. Before that everyone was ducking him. Murray, Geale, Sturm, N'Dam, Quillin, it was ridiculous.

Comment

Tony Sims was his trainer, not his matchmaker.

Comment

Great story lol, love boxing stories like this.

Comment

Lol that's a good story.

Comment

Thanks for the upload Eastcoast

It's videos like this why IFilm is the best boxing YouTube channel. Kugan is the man. Was never a Barker fan just viewed him as a Euro Bum. But every interview I see of him on IFilm is $. Actually it's because of IFilm that I actually pay attention to the UK scene. Made me realize how stupid I was for never giving the UK fighters their proper credit.

Comment

Always liked Darren Barker, kind of a shame the domestic dust-ups between Murray, Macklin, Barker and Lee never got made cos each one of them had the potential to be great fights.

And yeah, amusing little GGG anecdote, thanks for the share.

Comment

Thats a great story, thanks for sharing.

Yeah insiders knew GGG long before he came into the US scene but even when he was fighting in germany his promoter tried to keep him on the undercards, away from title shots or not show him on TV because they wanted to market the more "german" looking/speaking/sounding middleweights like Felix Sturm and Arthur Abraham.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                  Thanks for the upload Eastcoast

It's videos like this why IFilm is the best boxing YouTube channel. Kugan is the man. Was never a Barker fan just viewed him as a Euro Bum. But every interview I see of him on IFilm is $. Actually it's because of IFilm that I actually pay attention to the UK scene. Made me realize how stupid I was for never giving the UK fighters their proper credit.
                  I like their videos....but I have a hard time hearing them sometimes

Comment

Wonder why Sims said no? lol

Comment

Working...
                    X