No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder's next opponent may be Hasim Rahman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude!! He's 40 years old.

Seriously, Rahman has been fighting since 1994 and been through 61 battles including two fights with Lennox Lewis, two fights with David Tua, Wladimir Klitschko and more recently Povetkin.

They are gonna kill Rahman if they keep putting him in there with young punchers.

Comment

I'm sick of these "stepping stone, baby steps, etc" fights. I don't see Bryant ****in Jennings taking baby steps. He had a limited amateur career as well but he's stepping up & making a name for himself..

If you keep on fighting ****ty opposition then you're reinforcing that you aren't ready. FFS, Wilder was Wlads chief sparring partner. If you can hang with the real hw champion of the world, even though it's sparring, you're ready to fight a decent opponent.

Comment

Rahman? Seriously? And people are brazen enough to be claiming Wilder a future great. Based on stuff like this? I like to see a little proof before I make claims like that but some people are so eager to be fans that they will get hyped on stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          I'm sick of these "stepping stone, baby steps, etc" fights. I don't see Bryant ****in Jennings taking baby steps. He had a limited amateur career as well but he's stepping up & making a name for himself..

If you keep on fighting ****ty opposition then you're reinforcing that you aren't ready. FFS, Wilder was Wlads chief sparring partner. If you can hang with the real hw champion of the world, even though it's sparring, you're ready to fight a decent opponent.
          Regardless of their backgrounds Bryant Jennings is much further along skill wise than Wilder is. I don't care to get into the why or how it came to be that way.

I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this fight in particular. Povetkin just let Rahman fight for a world title, something Wilder is a solid 2 years away from himself. So is Wilder the problem? Or world champs like Povetkin?

Sparring is one thing. Sparring with Wlad was probably good for Wilder because Wlad is too nice to hurt him badly.

All I know is i've watched Wilder enough times to see he is not ready for a legit Top-20 opponent. The people who are clamoring hardest for it to happen are those that want it to happen only to see him lose.

If they fought today Bryant Jennings would knock Wilder out inside 3 rounds. It wouldn't even be competitive. So I don't see any reason they should be fighting the exact same level of competition.

Comment

Rahman was the WBA mandatory for Povetkin. Beating him would help Wilder move up in the rankings.

The Euro and Ruskie crybabies can just think of it as being similar to Denis Lebedev beating up on ancient James Toney and Roy Jones. Except that Deontay is much greener than Lebedev.

Comment

Ive watched most of Deontay's fights and he has the talent, skill, conditioning & will to beat decent journeymen. I'm sure that Wilder would KTFO the likes of guys like Towers, Maddalone, Pajkic, Barrett, Grano, Tupou, etc.

So yeah, Im disappointed that his team would consider someone as washed up as Rahman. He needs to fight guys who will be there to win not just show up for the paycheck

Comment

Working...
              X