No announcement yet.

Liston vs. Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liston vs. Frazier

Well, what do you think? Liston vs. Frazier, prime vs. prime, who wins?

Going by how easily Ali handled Liston, two times, compared to how much he struggled with Frazier, three times, then I think Frazier is better.

Ai fought the two men at different stages in his career. It's just not comparable.

Now in terms of prime v prime, frazier was quicker, better conditioned and more resilient. Liston was tough and powerful but frazier would beat him.
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Gets hurt and dropped early in the fight but frazier comes back and scores a late tko win over liston.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy J View Post
        Gets hurt and dropped early in the fight but frazier comes back and scores a late tko win over liston.
        A factor that could play into Liston's advantage is Frazier's semi-fragile chin. Frazier may not get up from a Liston knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
          A factor that could play into Liston's advantage is Frazier's semi-fragile chin. Frazier may not get up from a Liston knockdown.
          That is definitely a possibility, but i think that in order for that to happen frazier would have to be ko'd cold. If foreman couldnt do it, then i dont think liston could either. Even against foreman, frazier was never discouraged and still kept moving forward. i think liston lights him up early, but frazier is relentless and has good punching power himself and those two things would get him a late tko victory.

Comment

Liston would be landing mean uppercuts all night on the shorter, and low to the ground Frazier. He'd do him like he did Patterson.

Comment

I think Liston would win by early KO. Liston was way past prime when he fought Ali. Liston had been denied a title shot for years before Paterson bravely fought him against his manager's wishes. Liston was a monster puncher and you couldn't fight him the way Frazier fought everybody and not get knocked cold. Frazier only fought one way and that was to attack full bore throwing lots of hard punches, especially left hooks. He was a converted southpaw without much of a right. That style usually worked for Frazier but it failed miserably against huge puncher Foreman. It would also fail him against a prime Liston. Liston had a monster left jab and an 84 inch reach. He would use that jab to set short Frazier up for his powerful left hook and straight right which were both as hard as Foreman's power punches. Frazier could walk through the power punches of many heavyweights. He could not walk through the power of Foreman and he would also be knocked out by a prime Liston. The prime Liston had a great chin that took the best bombs of a prime Cleveland Williams who hit harder than Frazier.
              Cobra Curry Cobra Curry likes this.

Comment

Frazier has never actually defeated a TRUE power puncher so to give him the edge here is not practical . Based on Bonevena almost k.oing Frazier in rnd 2 and Frazier severely struggling with Mathis the only natural HW close to Liston in terms of being 215 and over in those eras , its a good bet Liston K.os Frazier who will walk right to him and its Foreman all over again with the exception Frazier would be in his prime 68 /71 but i dont see a different outcome .Ali was 210 /215 but wasnt a power puncher its void here.

Liston K.o 8th round
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-07-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Liston was the best heavyweight ever. He threw both fights with Ali. The mob 'influenced' him to lose both. He would have beaten Ali and Frazier on the same night.............'The Night Train',.....the baddest dude that ever laced up a pair,..........Charles 'Sonny' Liston. Even his name sounds tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger07 View Post

That is definitely a possibility, but i think that in order for that to happen frazier would have to be ko'd cold. If foreman couldnt do it, then i dont think liston could either. Even against foreman, frazier was never discouraged and still kept moving forward. i think liston lights him up early, but frazier is relentless and has good punching power himself and those two things would get him a late tko victory.
                    why so you people use that quote George tech was trash which is why he couldnt didnt you see oscar he punched better which is why he took way less shots to drop and almost ended him from the 1st drop

Comment

Working...
                    X