No announcement yet.

Grade Deontay Wilder's performance last nite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the OP is very accurate.

On the plus side, it was another early KO victory and I think the conditioning point is a good one. Wilder hasn't been taken long yet but in this instance he looked as fresh in the 4th as he did at the beginning of the fight. That bodes well.

On the negative side, he got hit a lot when Firtha rushed him. What happens if a faster, stronger guy rushes him?

As stated, nowhere near a title shot. Firtha is a decent test for a prospect but it's time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      He is about right on track with where he is suppose to be, on a fight by fight basis he continues to look a better fighter. He needs to do better with the jab but that is something that can get better with time, it should be a real weapons as oppose to just a set up for the right.

He will never be the smoothest looking guy but that isn't required to be effective and it can make a guy tougher to read.

5 years in he is about on time to be a real prospect, no one should have expected him to be much more 5 years in than he is now going forward if he can continue to improve he has a shot but he is still just a prospect and should be moved as such. People have been making a big deal over something that is being done the only way it could possibly work, will it work in the end who knows Wilder does have talent but it comes down to how much work does he continue to put in.

people just want to see him lose.

Comment

Do they?

I just want to see him step up. I don't want a guy with his gifts to rush to a Klitschko and get destroyed.

Comment

Wilder just isn't that good right now. With his power it's hard to count him out of any fight, but I can't imagine he's ready for what Golden Boy sounds like they want to throw him in to.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            I just want to see him step up. 30 fights in, you've gotta agree too

Comment

There really is nothing to grade here and nothing you can take out of this, IMO. Firtha is a caddy for a living. The funny thing was the commentators said "Firtha is a guy who's always in shape and ready to go 12" or something along those lines....... while his boobs were jiggling up and down, lol.

Comment

At some point they most likely will, saying any boxing prospect will fail is pretty much the smart bet especially talking a raw guy like Wilder.

He has been put in a position where he could possibly have some success which if you saw his first fights or him in the Olympics it was an open question if he could ever get to the point where he is a legitimate prospect. Now he has to be moved like a real prospect which is still slow compared to what people want to see but that is the only way it can go.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                  I just want to see him step up. 30 fights in, you've gotta agree too

i think they're moving him well right now. the guy still hardly knows how to box. i don't care if he's got 130 fights. a guy who can't box yet is a guy who can't box yet.

he's been matched recently with the intention of getting him rounds. that's exactly what i'd be doing.

if you move him too quickly he will lose. he's an american HW with talent in his mid 20's. if they move him right he's going to become a very rich man. the only thing that will ruin him right now is moving him too quickly. doing what they're doing is not ruining him. you might not have the patience for it, but it is not ruining him. he cannot box yet. he is getting better. he needs rounds.

when i say "he needs rounds" that doesn't mean he needs to be thrown to the wolves. "getting rounds" is something thats done against guys who are supposed to lose, but are good enough that you can't bomb them out without having to work for it.

wilder has boxed 53 round as a pro, man. 53.

Comment

B.

He knocked down Firtha 2 times in the 1st round and out in the 4th, so that has some merit. He used the jab plenty and went almost 4 rounds.

But Firtha hasn't proved anything, we haven't seen anything we haven't seen from Wilder before.

Comment

i think they're moving him well right now. the guy still hardly knows how to box. i don't care if he's got 130 fights. a guy who can't box yet is a guy who can't box yet.

he's been matched recently with the intention of getting him rounds. that's exactly what i'd be doing.

if you move him too quickly he will lose. he's an american HW with talent in his mid 20's. if they move him right he's going to become a very rich man. the only thing that will ruin him right now is moving him too quickly. doing what they're doing is not ruining him. you might not have the patience for it, but it is not ruining him. he cannot box yet. he is getting better. he needs rounds.

when i say "he needs rounds" that doesn't mean he needs to be thrown to the wolves. "getting rounds" is something thats done against guys who are supposed to lose, but are good enough that you can't bomb them out without having to work for it.

wilder has boxed 53 round as a pro, man. 53.
                      These aren't opponents who can give him rounds. These are guys who're part time boxers, old as hell, haven't fought in a while and are just brought in to get KO'd.
                      Firtha's a step up though, only 34 and had a lay off less than a year. Hopefully they'll at least stick to something like that and no go back to guys who've been off for years and old as hell

Comment

Working...
                      X