Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your views on the legalization of Marijuana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dionysusolympus
    If you're talking about the States, remember freedom comes with responsibilities. In your sense, I gather it's contextual and arbitrary in my opinion.

By advocating a legalisation policy on marijuana, why place a stricter policy on whether one hurts someone by it? You've already given the individual the right to both use and carry it in your perception of the "free world" so in this "free world" he or she should be able to do as he or she wants as long as it doesn't hurt you specifically. Is that correct or no?
    Isn't this how most freedoms work? How is that different from the right to drive a car, for example? Do you think they should be made illegal because people die in traffic accidents and people use their vehicles foolishly?

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier
      Isn't this how most freedoms work? How is that different from the right to drive a car, for example? Do you think they should be made illegal because people die in traffic accidents and people use their vehicles foolishly?
      I understand what you're saying, but as I stated before, I placed severe limitations on how hash (and for that matter any other drug) can be used. Secondly, by your implication in the statement, if you're saying one must get a license to possess and use hash or any of its cousins or variations, then I'm all good. However, the person using such drugs must be held accountable at all times.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but as I stated before, I placed severe limitations on how hash (and for that matter any other drug) can be used. Secondly, by your implication in the statement, if you're saying one must get a license to possess and use hash or any of its cousins or variations, then I'm all good. However, the person using such drugs must be held accountable at all times.
        I'm not sure if we should go as far as licensing, but I got no problem with accountability.

The thing is, this is the one absolute truth about this matter: drugs are legalized because their sole function is to bring pleasure to their users. Since they have no "practical" role in society, our society places no value on them. If cars did not serve any practical purpose (like bringing people to work and to big stores in the subrubs where they can buy things) then they would be banned too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier
          I'm not sure if we should go as far as licensing, but I got no problem with accountability.

The thing is, this is the one absolute truth about this matter: drugs are legalized because their sole function is to bring pleasure to their users. Since they have no "practical" role in society, our society places no value on them. If cars did not serve any practical purpose (like bringing people to work and to big stores in the subrubs where they can buy things) then they would be banned too.
          good point, Socrates...

Comment

good point, Socrates...
            Thanks...you should post more, by the way. You seem like a sharp guy (and I'm not saying that just because of the compliment )

Comment

If you're talking about the States, remember freedom comes with responsibilities. In your sense, I gather it's contextual and arbitrary in my opinion.

By advocating a legalisation policy on marijuana, why place a stricter policy on whether one hurts someone by it? You've already given the individual the right to both use and carry it in your perception of the "free world" so in this "free world" he or she should be able to do as he or she wants as long as it doesn't hurt you specifically. Is that correct or no?
              in a free society, citizens should be given the benefit of the doubt that they will not abuse their freedoms. But there has to be some explicit explanation of abused freedoms so that 1) everyone understands the expectations 2) those who do not comply can be punished in a just manner, thus the whole "innocent before proven guilty" thing - it can't be a judgment call, it has to be able to be proven.

Comment

Legalize it, grow it, ration it(7 j's per week per user), regulate it, treat it like alcohol (age restrictions and DUI), and tax the **** out of it.

It should cost about the same as cigarettes to manufacture, but the government could tax it up to current street value.

$$$$$$$

No more deficit, no more Social Security problem, free health care for everyone, and so on. Everyone's happy.

I for one will never buy it, those days are long behind me.

Comment

**** rationing it and having to have a license and all these other bull**** ideas.

Its about letting adults be adults. If your an adult, you should be able to smoke pot. Not only should you be able to smoke it, you should be able to smoke as much as you want. Just like how you can drink as much beer as you want. Would anyone want the government telling them they had a ration of 6 beers for the Super Bowl? I dont think soo.....

Comment

Alcohol is okay because it makes people depressed. Depression is great because then you can sell the depessred people drugs that supposedly make them un-depressed, or at least encourage them to consume like wild hyenas because extra stuff will make them feel better.

Caffeine is good too because it makes people word harder and it makes them tense, as well. Stress is good because then you can sell people relaxants and encourage them to consume like wild boars to buy stuff that will supposedly sooth them.

So these drugs are okay.

Comment

Working...
                    X