No announcement yet.

Slipping the cross easier then jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping the cross easier then jab?

Is it just me or is it easier to slip the right hand then jab?
    But i slip the straight by stepping inside and towards my opponent on the outside, im unable to do this by bob and weave, is this normal?

A cross has more distance to travel than a jab, which gives you more time to react to it, so yeah, it's usually easier to slip a cross than a jab.

As for the mechanics of slipping the cross, I usually just slipped to the outside of the cross (So, against an orthodox fighter, I would slip left to avoid the cross. I would usually try to counter with a left hook, or come back with a jab and move out of range). I haven't been in the ring in a fair while now though, so I'll leave more technical advice to those with less ring rust

Comment

I can't slip a cross to save my life. Slipping a jab is a lot easier for me

Comment

the ability to deal with an opponent's jab is the firs thing i look @ when gauging a fighter i've yet to see. i don't care if it's a kid at the gym or a great from the past. that's generally how i get an impression of the time he's spent in the gym and in the ring. that's the only way you're going to develop the "sixth sense" when it comes to your opponent's offense. i don't care how good your reflexes are, or if you're fast.

a great boxer will slip the jab like his opponent was giving him a heads up about when it was going to be thrown. it's pure art. i can't describe it better than that.

yes, getting out of the way of a right hand should be easier than a jab. jabs come the quickest, come from a hand that's closest to you, and they're not thrown with a ton of power. you step into a jab and shoot the thing out, then bring it back. it's all quick, and it's not a motion you can load up on, the way you can load up on a right hand by digging into the ground with your back foot, shifting your weight at the moment of impact / through the target, and using your hips. you can't do that with a jab.

i'd be mindful of how you're getting out of the way of these right hands. if you're just leaning away you're in line for the second right hand. you want to get outside of a right hand, or else you're in line for the second. the safe spot if you are in range is on the other side of his right hand (far to his right.) you also have great options for your own offense because you're not lined up with his defense.

i am not a trainer, or even an overly experienced boxer, and what i tell you shouldn't substitute for what your coach is trying to teach you. there's a reason why it's frowned upon for outsiders to teach things to somebody else's fighter, and it's not just an ego thing. you don't know what the trainer is trying to build toward. he's training the guy in the long term, and you're only answering a single question.

the trainers / experienced fighters on the forum are cuaht, barry, rockin, ray, and a bunch of others who i should mention, but the usernames are slipping my mind. they can give you much more specific advice on getting out of the way of right hands (or countering them and scaring your opponent from throwing them, an expert trick,) than i can.

i was always better at punching than i was at moving my head, anyway

some great fighters @ getting out of the way of right hands:

hopkins
        toney
        mayweather
        vitali klitscko (though he focuses his entire style on being tall, and it won't help to look @ his tape much if you aren't huge.)
        archie moore
        ezzard charles
        willie pep
        pernell whitaker

and if you're a southpaw i really suggest you check out chris byrd. hugely underrated defensive technician. gets out of the way of right hands like it's his job, in a division where right hands and jabs at a distance are often the lifeblood of a guy's offense
        Last edited by New England; 06-29-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
          A cross has more distance to travel than a jab, which gives you more time to react to it, so yeah, it's usually easier to slip a cross than a jab.

As for the mechanics of slipping the cross, I usually just slipped to the outside of the cross (So, against an orthodox fighter, I would slip left to avoid the cross. I would usually try to counter with a left hook, or come back with a jab and move out of range). I haven't been in the ring in a fair while now though, so I'll leave more technical advice to those with less ring rust

i heard that if you plant a bean or two in the ground, water it with sweat and spit from the gym, and wait a few weeks, cuaht shows up.

Comment

Working...
          X