Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll say it... Guillermo Rigondeaux is probaby the most skilled boxer of all time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would Rigo do against a prime 122 Pac and Barrera???

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      I don't know about all-time, but he's surely one of the 4-5 best around right now. Sometimes we over think this stuff. He proved it last night. He's THAT good. I started on his bandwagon (had a bet after 3 fights he'd be a champ by the end of 10 and he sort of was), got all think-too-hard after Cordoba, and, nope, right the first time.

He just came within a punch or two of shutting out a guy who hadn't come close to losing in six years at the title level. I look at Rigo at this point like Roy Hobbs. Castro was his whore that shot him in the gut, killing the chance for a Ruthian career. Lets not talk ourselves out of what we all really think after last night: if every fighter were the same size, Rigo would be favored over almost anyone.
      And this. I totally agree with. Green K sent.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1
        Quote:

Originally Posted by !! Shawn

We already knew he was probably the best Amateur boxer of all time.

With last nights performance I am going to put it out there that Rigondeaux is probably the most skilled boxer to ever step into the ring.

We just saw a 32 year old fighter on the downside of his prime dismantle a top 5 p4p fighter in his prime.

I am not saying he is unbeatable, he still has to prove that against a fighter who can take his punches and is willing to eat them to deliver their own like a Roberto Duran, but skill wise I think it can now be argued that he is without equal.

The closest I can think of is maybe Pernell Whitaker, but Rigo is equally slick, is better at controlling the pace of fights, and is more precise with his punches.

I don't know about all-time, but he's surely one of the 4-5 best around right now. Sometimes we over think this stuff. He proved it last night. He's THAT good. I started on his bandwagon (had a bet after 3 fights he'd be a champ by the end of 10 and he sort of was), got all think-too-hard after Cordoba, and, nope, right the first time.

He just came within a punch or two of shutting out a guy who hadn't come close to losing in six years at the title level. I look at Rigo at this point like Roy Hobbs. Castro was his whore that shot him in the gut, killing the chance for a Ruthian career. Lets not talk ourselves out of what we all really think after last night: if every fighter were the same size, Rigo would be favored over almost anyone.
        Some people tend to forget that's the real meaning of P4P. P4P is not just about resume. Some people use different criterias but the one bolded is the main one.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Save that title until after he retires if he can continue to live up to it. Jesus lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tim2daresq View Post
            No, you really don't. When you beat a guy like Vic Darchinian, people start to say, "woah he got skills, lets see what happens when he fights so, and so."

Well, guess what? He fought so and so, and utterly outclassed him. He not only faced his toughest task, probably of his career, but took him to school.

There's literally nothing more he has to do, besides beat a bunch of fighters that aren't even on Nonito's level, and go on a ridiculous winning streak.
            I agree.

Rigo is 32. He is at the age where most fighters have had a long career and we start to asses where they stack up in the grand scheme of things.

Last night, Rigo got himself a win that would be career defining for ANY fighter in the game today. It is probably the most significant win and performance of the last 20 years.

He doesn't have the build up of lots of fights against really good fighters, because of circumstance, but he has the career defining win against a great hall of fame fighter in Donaire.

Its a win on the level of Whitaker vs Chavez (although that was draw :-/ )
            Its a win on the level of Duran vs Leonard
            Its a win on the level of Leonard vs Hearns

Rigondeaux was forced to spend his prime in the amateurs. Realistically, like Muhammad Ali, he was forced by Politics to sit out his prime years even in the amateurs.

He proved that his skill and greatness with last nights performance. It ranks up there in quality with any win by any fighter, and I feel serves as an adequate bench mark to rank Guillermo Rigondeaux's quality in terms of all time greatness.

He might not be the best fighter of all time, I'd still have a hard time seeing him coming out over Duran, but skill wise I am comfortable saying he has no equal.

Comment

What people have to understand is that he didn't do what he did lastnight to no Rico Ramos or some chump like that. Nonito is a p4p top dog who all but a few people viewed as a straight up beast!!!! Rigo took him to school. That is one bad ass Cubano boy......

Comment

What.......?

Comment

Are we talking about the same guy who has been dropped and wobbled numerous times in his 11 fight pro career?

And being compared to sweet pea?
                  Last edited by junior gong; 04-14-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Was his amateur record really 243-4 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim2daresq View Post
                      He literally beat the toughest opponent he'll ever face in his career, and outclassed him.

When I said, "what more does he need to do?" I didn't mean he could retire now, and call it a day. I meant, his skills are already among the legends.
                      If Nonito Donaire is the toughest opponent he'll ever face in his career, lets call it a day, guy is barely HOF worthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X